Location:San Carlos, California, United StatesJob reference:
Mar. 24, 2017
Acerta Pharma is a leader in the field of covalent binding technology and is applying this technology to create novel, highly selective therapies for cancer. In February 2016, AstraZeneca acquired a majority share of Acerta Pharma via a USD $4 billion investment and is a committed partner to the development of these innovative drug candidates.
Acalabrutinib is Acerta's lead program which was developed based on our discovery efforts. It is an investigational covalent Bruton tyrosine kinase (BTK) inhibitor currently under investigation in multiple Phase 3 clinical trials. The clinical program includes over 20 trials in hematologic malignancies and solid tumors. Over 1,800 patients have participated in these trials to date.
The Research Associate/Associate Scientist has an integral role in the hands-on execution of experiments that support the aims of pre-clinical and clinical development, contributes to the development and application of cell-based assays to provide support for breakthrough drug development. Evaluates the effectiveness of specific methods and procedures as they relate to an individual project and is responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory.
The Research Associate/Associate Scientist is responsible for planning, executing, and analyzing experiments to support Acerta Pharma's efforts in drug discovery and translational sciences. Performs independent data analyses and effectively communicates results to the team. Performs bench level experiments, operating analytical instruments, recovering, compiling and verifying the accuracy of research data; performs calculations; prepares charts, graphs and summaries. Clearly communicates experimental results across research sites. Prepares and maintains laboratory reagents, stocks, cultures or cell lines. Performs all assigned duties in compliance with internal SOP's and external regulations.
Additionally, the Research Associate/Associate Scientist maintains clear and traceable records of the experiments performed. Maintains flexibility with changing research aims. Brings all compliance issues to the attention of management. Performs and modifies documented protocols and assays. Collaborates with team members and assists in designing experiments; examines proposals to determine projects and methodologies best suited to research objectives and the overall goals of the laboratory. Utilizes literature reviews, protocols, networking and prior laboratory experience to determine the most suitable methods and resources to be used in research. Edits and writes reports of research. May train work-study students, graduate students, contractors or other laboratory personnel. Performs all other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in biochemistry, molecular biology or related discipline
* 5-10 years' experience in life science research laboratory
* Familiarity with biological processes, particularly related to the growth and survival of cancer cells
* Good knowledge of the appropriate handling techniques for primary cells, especially from patient samples
* Experience with cell-based assays that measure growth, differentiation, and signal transduction
* Experience with Flow Cytometry assays to measure cell phenotypes and functional changes
* Adept at sterile technique and basic cell culturing methods (at least one year cell culture experience)
* Working knowledge of cell biology, signal transduction and apoptotic pathways
* Experience with small molecule drug development
* Proven ability and knowledge necessary to conduct independent research
* Ability to perform basic laboratory mathematical calculations
* Ability to work in a team environment
* Ability to coordinate, control and organize multiple functions
* Physical and technical ability to operate laboratory equipment
* Experience with cell culturing and molecular biology techniques
* Possesses a positive attitude and willingness to work diligently in a dynamic environment
* Strong computer skills (MS Office)
* Good presentation skills
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.