RIA Research, Director/Fellow R&D- (Gaithersburg, MD)
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an RIA Research, Director/Fellow R&D in Gaithersburg MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
We are seeking a candidate with aPh.D. and/or, M.D./Ph.D degree] with 8 years + experience and has a broad understanding of the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying respiratory diseases, such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Asthma and Idiopathc Pulmonary Fibrosis. This candidate would be expected to demonstrate a passion for innovative scientific research leading to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics. Expertise in areas, such as epithelial biology, stem cell biology and/or tissue regeneration is highly desired and a strong scientific background, including high impact publications documenting original discoveries, is required. A background in human translational approaches to understand basic biological mechanisms and/or patient heterogeneity in disease is a plus but not essential. The successful candidate must have a firm understanding of the mechanistic basis of human disease and will play a key role in designing and ensuring successful execution of studies to translate preclinical insights into early clinical development of novel biologics.
As a member of the RIA Senior Leadership Team the candidate will be responsible for the research strategy, direction, and supervision of a team of scientists. The candidate will inspire, develop, and critically evaluate research that results in novel discoveries and new therapies, while at the same time assuring close alignment with our colleagues in the UK, Translational Sciences, Antibody Development and Protein Engineering, the RIA Innovative Medicine function (iMED), clinical teams, and other stake holders. The ability to generate and lead numerous parallel discovery projects, while focusing on promising avenues for novel insights into human disease and the opportunities for novel biologic therapies, is essential.
Strong leadership and personal skills are required. A good understanding of the drug development process, from lead identification through clinical trials, are a plus but not essential. The successful candidate should be able to work productively in a matrix team environment. Excellent written, oral, presentation and interpersonal skills are important.
Specific duties and major responsibilities include:
• Serve as a senior leader of RIA Research to ensure high scientific quality and consistent delivery of clinical candidates from the department. Lead and contribute to the success of the department’s goals for high impact publications.
• Motivate and inspire a group of talented scientists and postdoctoral fellows, as well as the entire department of approximately 80 scientists.
• Accountability for exciting and productive research from the discovery of novel human disease relevant insights, internally and in collaboration with leading external scientists, to the delivery of attractive novel medicines into clinical development to demonstrate proof of mechanism and benefit to patients.
• Help develop appropriate in vitro and in vivo models to establish a relationship between dose, schedule, PK, and pharmacodynamics (e.g., mechanism of action, potential biomarkers).
• Collaborate effectively with scientists located in Cambridge, UK, including a part of RIA R&D.
• Work closely with Translational Sciences and our clinical teams to include biomarkers and patient subset/molecular phenotype approaches.
• Work effectively with Antibody & Protein Engineering (ADPE) to discover and rapidly progress candidate molecules into IND-enabling studies.
• Work closely with the RIA iMED and clinical development to progress and support clinical molecules.
• Represent RIA Research externally and in cross-functional, MedImmune-, and AstraZeneca-wide initiatives.
• The position will be based in Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
• Strong and inspirational leadership skills and the ability to work and lead in a matrix team environment.
• Firm understanding of the mechanistic basis of human diseases in the respiratory, inflammatory, and autoimmunity space to drive target evaluation, biomarker selection and personalized health care strategies, with a broad knowledge in immunity and related disciplines as well as the principles of clinical development of biologic therapeutics.
• Hands-on experience in basic research with a track record of novel discoveries and high impact publications, as well as an understanding of translational and clinical research. Proficient in problem solving and the design of research strategy.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Familiarity with medicine, clinical protocols, regulatory processes, industry, the competitive landscape, is a plus.
• Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. or equivalent
• A minimum of 8 or more years of experience in research with a significant leadership position in academia, industry, or a combination of these is required.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.