If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Associate Scientist 2/Scientist 1 in Cell Culture Process Development in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In this position you will develop cell culture processes for monoclonal antibodies, vaccines, fusion proteins, and other recombinant therapeutics. You will be an active member of a team responsible for developing and optimizing scalable mammalian cell culture processes for the production of therapeutic proteins and transferring those processes to clinical sites. Your responsibilities will include routine sub-culture of cells, development of optimized, characterized, and robust seed train and bioreactor processes, media and feed development, harvest development, cell banking, designing of experiments; statistical analysis of data, assessment of product quality, trouble-shooting and developing new technologies.
You’ll have the opportunity to contribute to writing development reports such as process description and process characterization reports, summarizing and interpreting results and writing technology transfer documents. You will also assist with compiling data/information and writing CMC sections for regulatory submissions (IND/IMPD/BLA). You will be expected to maintain current knowledge of scientific literature as well as take initiative to identify and solve scientific and technical challenges of the field and will present data at internal meetings and, as appropriate, at external conferences. You’ll be involved in day to day activities to support lab operations such as: maintaining lab equipment, the collection of detailed and accurate records, data analysis in spreadsheet programs ordering chemicals and miscellaneous lab items and keeping track of the key inventory items for ongoing projects.
- For the Associate Scientist II, we require a Bachelor's degree with 8 - 10 years of experience OR a Master of Science with 5 - 8 years of experience.
- For the Scientist I, we require a Bachelor's degree with 10 - 13 years of experience OR a Master of Science with 8 - 10 years of experience OR a PhD with 0 – 3 years of experience.
- Educational degrees are required in chemical/biochemical engineering or a related science discipline.
- Aseptic cell culture techniques
- Fundamental understanding of cell culture development, biochemical engineering concepts, biochemical pathways, and/or cell physiology
- Excellent team work and communication skills
- Demonstrated innovative work and desire to excel
- Proficiency with MS Office (or related) software
- Hands on experience at small scale to pilot scale bioreactor operations
- Prior use of statistical data analysis
- Experience with cell culture development and media/feed development
- Familiarity with GMP cell culture practices and key analytical equipment
- Experience using ambr and other high-throughput tools preferred
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.