The Publications Manager manages and implements global publication strategies across multiple therapeutic areas and compounds throughout the product lifecycle. This work encompasses publication activities for external and internal audiences and manages agencies medical writers and editors. The Manager works closely with Medical Affairs colleagues across the globe as well as internal stakeholders from multiple departments. This role ensures all timelines are met or exceeded and is responsible for process quality, efficiency, and consistency. The position reports to the Senior Director of Global Scientific and Medical Communications (GSMC).
• In collaboration with the Senior Director, GSMC, develops, maintains, and adjusts global publication strategies and imperatives detailing the appropriate scientific communication across the Santen portfolio and product lifecycle multiple marketed and investigational products to relevant external audiences.
• Has a strong knowledge of ophthalmology and Santen compounds.
• Coordinates and leads cross functional publication team meetings and activities.
• Coordinates and leads external Medical Publications Steering Committees.
• Maintains ongoing communication and reporting updates to the Senior Director, GSMC.
• Effectively and consistently communicates the publication strategy, tactics, and plan progress to internal business partners, including upper management.
• Coordinates collaboration with authors, ensuring compliant author engagement; manages author meetings to facilitate content discussion and ensure appropriate content development process is followed.
• Compiles necessary data required for content development
• Reviews manuscripts, abstracts, and poster/slide content for accuracy and scientific rigor; manages and facilitates the internal and external content review processes, including review and adjudication of comments.
• Masters and maintains up to date knowledge of good publication practices and regulatory requirements; applies them in daily activities, including strategy development, tactical execution, and committee management.
• Interacts directly with Clinical Development, R&D, Biostatistics, Drug Safety, and Regulatory Affairs to fully understand Santen development programs, regulatory and medical strategies
• Develops key scientific and communication objectives for the therapeutic areas to drive credible, fair balanced, timely scientific publications.
• Develops and maintains tools and processes, including efficient and effective tracking systems for publication activities.
• Manages agencies, consultants, writers, and editors according to Santen Standard Operating Procedures
• Attends conferences, symposia or other meetings and staffs Medical Affairs booths as necessary and as assigned.
• Acts as liaison between Medical Affairs Publications and external content contributors.
• Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a scientific discipline. Advanced degree a plus.
• Minimum of 8 years relevant industry experience, with 2-3 years of publication planning experience within the pharmaceutical industry including submission processes for publications.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of pertinent external guidelines related to industry publications, and current standards of good publication practice.
• Experience with publications planning software and/or online data sharing platforms.
• Effectively work with and lead cross-functional teams.
• Experience with vendor management.
• Project management skills.
• Pharmaceutical, biomedical, or scientific writing experience.
• Experience with clinical trial reports and data presentation and interpretation preferred.