Why Join Us?
Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
We are located in Novato, CA, 25 miles north of San Francisco with additional office space in Brisbane, CA.
Ultragenyx is looking for a Program Manager with a passion and creativity to develop great medicines for rare and ultra-rare diseases. The individual will be a self-starter with excellent project management skills and the ability to build strong rapport across functions. The successful candidate will be ready for a career defining experience and have the passion to drive a number of therapeutics for devastating diseases to final approval and launch.
This position will report to the Executive Director Program and Portfolio Management and will be responsible for managing one to two programs depending on the stage and scope of a program. In addition, this individual will actively support development of the department and tools/process across the portfolio.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
• Support the program team to develop, maintain and execute the integrated development strategy for one or more programs (both small molecules and/or biologics). The number of programs will depend on stage and scope of the programs.
• Develops the cross-functional plans together including realistic but aggressive timelines, budget and resources planning, risk assessment and contingency planning.
• Ensures cross-functional alignment and organizational support for the execution of the program plan by facilitating internal and external stakeholder meetings. Driving the team to ‘out-of-box” thinking and creative issue resolution.
• Drives objective setting process.
• Responsible for monitoring and tracking the project against approved timelines and milestones, and ensures adherence to agreed-upon team objectives and deliverables.
• Manages prioritization of project team activities to enhance program value.
• Acts as spokesperson for the program, and may represent program internally and externally.
• Responsible for comprehensiveness and quality of program information in the internal systems, databases, and communication to Senior Management and program team
• Expected to identify bottlenecks, surface issues, and proactively drive for their resolution. Leads contingency planning efforts.
• Leads ad-hoc cross-functional task forces as needed aiming at issue resolution.
• Manages and tracks implementation of publication and ad board planning
• Ensures effective, proactive and open communications, horizontally and vertically, in order to achieve transparency and clarity of program goals, progress and issues.
• Develop departmental processes, procedures and tools to improve departmental functioning and portfolio management.
• Support Business Development in in-licensing activities and Alliance management
• Participate in functional initiatives, as needed
• Bachelor of Science degree with 5 years industry experience or Master of Science degree with minimum 2 years of industry experience
• At least 2 years equivalent multi-/ cross-functional leadership experience
• Project Management skills
• Cross-functional team and relationship building skills
• Previous work and leadership experience in international and multidisciplinary drug development teams and broad operational experience with an understanding of drug development process
• Advanced level of basic science. Experience working in genetic, rare diseases preferred
• Knowledge of regulatory and business requirements.
• Understands basic financial aspects, including knowledge of resource planning (headcount and budget) and management
• Ability to critically and objectivelly interpret and evaluate scientific and competitive, business related information.
• Must possess solid leadership skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills for bridging between scientific and business participants, for negotiating timelines and for effective collaboration.
• Strong verbal communication. Expert in written communications.
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.