Verenium, a global leader in developing high-performance enzymes, is part of BASF – The Chemical Company. Verenium’s unique enzymes, designed to improve efficiency and economics, together with BASF’s sustainable chemistry, will continue to transform the future of enzymes. By combining our cultures of innovation and our focus on creating sustainable solutions, we will continue to harness the power of nature and leverage its unique, patented technology to create enzyme products that maximize efficiency while improving environmental performance.
Verenium - now part of BASF is seeking a first shift Process Development Associate I for our BioProcess Development team in our state of the art Pilot Plant. We are looking for a first shift Process Development Associate I to carry out fermentation and/or recovery experiments, record process data, and maintenance/ housekeeping within the Verenium Pilot Plant. The Process Development Associate I will assist in troubleshooting activities within the pilot plant. Initial startup calling for a 5/24 schedule (including holidays and possible weekend work) with the plan to transition to 7/24 (including holidays). Flexibility in shift hours may be required based on production schedule.
- Preparing various types of media, solutions, and buffers that are prepared according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Preparing, cleaning, in situ sterilization and monitoring of fixed vessel systems (40L and 500L tanks).
- Cleaning and operating downstream process equipment, including filtration systems and mixing tanks.
- Frequent use of aseptic technique in laboratory operations.
- Ensuring compliance with cGMP policies and procedures.
- Keeping equipment and laboratory clean, organized and communicating any maintenance issues.
- Frequent use of support equipment: pH meters, spectrophotometers, YSI, densitometer, Biosafety Cabinet/Laminar flow hoods, shakers, balances/scales, autoclave, microscopes and mixers.
- Collaborating with BioProcess Development team members, fermentation scientists, formulation scientists and R&D researchers on development and optimization of fermentation (40L and 500L vessels) and downstream processes (membrane separation, filtration and centrifugation).
- Performing data analysis and presenting results on process experiments.
- Revising and executing procedural Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain 100% compliance with EH&S policies and procedures.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- Strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2007.
- Must be a highly motivated and enthusiastic team player.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be able to work 1st shift.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in life sciences or engineering or related fields with at least 1 year of experience with manufacturing and/or pilot plant scale environment working with fermentation and/or recovery processing equipment OR high school diploma and 3 years year of experience with manufacturing and/or pilot plant scale environment working with fermentation and/or recovery processing equipment.
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Function: REDE - Research & Development
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-GV-Specialty Chemicals Research
Nearest Major Market: San Diego
Job Segment: Housekeeping, Engineer, Chemical Research, Biology, Healthcare, Engineering, Hospitality, Science
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.