At AstraZeneca we believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve. We need great people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world. If you’re curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Cancer is one of the greatest challenges facing medical science today. In our Oncology Team, you’ll push the boundaries of science every day to overcome that challenge. We’ve been at the center of some of the biggest breakthroughs in oncology. In lung cancer, for example, we’ve brought together complementary expertise to aid discovery and accelerate development in new medicines through a variety of partnerships and initiatives. We’re also early adopters of new technologies to support innovation, including CRISPR, genome editing techniques and a next-generation sequencing platform for companion diagnostics in oncology. But we’re not stopping there. With a world-class pipeline and some of the best experts in the industry, we’re in a great position to develop even more innovative therapeutic approaches.
Main duties and responsibilities
Several potent and selective irreversible BTK inhibitors, including acalabrutinib have been developed for clinical use in B cell malignancies. Encouraging responses have been observed in diffuse large B Cell lymphoma (DLBCL), but responses are variable and, in patients that do respond, only a subset maintain durability beyond 12 months.
In this postdoctoral role, you’ll focus on identifying signatures in DLBCL that link to BTK inhibition sensitivity, and on understanding how adaptive resistance contributes to relapse in DLBCL patients on BTK inhibition therapy.
Our highly motivated and experienced multidisciplinary oncology drug discovery team are focused on bringing new medicines to cancer patients. By joining this team your primary objectives will be to:
- Establish in vitro and in vivo sensitivity to the BTK inhibitor acalabrutinib across a panel of DLBCL models that represent the molecular and genetic diversity of DLBCL disease segments
- Characterize BCR pathway inhibition and key components of homeostatic signaling, following short term and chronic acalabrutinib treatment across the DLBCL panel
- Identify pathways contributing to adaptive resistance following acalabrutinib treatment
- Define and test strategies to overcome adaptive resistance to acalabrutinib
- PhD and/or MD in relevant area of biology
- Strong desire to learn and perform cancer research in an industry setting
- Strong scientific background in leukemia and lymphoma disease models and mechanisms
- Direct in vivo experience developing and using mouse models of cancer, including hematalogic malignancies
- Experience with a variety of laboratory techniques including cell culture, compound handling, western blotting, RTPCR and proliferation/viability assays
- Highly motivated, innovative and reliable with the ability to effectively problem solve
- Flexible, collaborative and team-oriented mind set
- Strong publication track record
To apply for this position, please click the apply link below.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
This is a 2 year Fixed Term Contract opportunity, plus 1 year which will be merit based. The role will be based at Waltham, MA with a competitive salary on offer
Opening date of advert: 17th February 2017
Closing date of advert: 18th April 2017
If you share our passion for scientific excellence, find out more at careers.astrazeneca.com