If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Patient Access Manager in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Patient Access Manager (PAM) will be an essential member of the Access 360 team. This position is responsible for supervising the day to day activities of the Access 360 team members which may include Intake Specialist, Patient Access Specialist, Patient Access Team Leads and Patient Access Associates. Access 360 team members will include AstraZeneca full time and/or External Managed Resources (EMRs). The EMRs or Contingent Worker positions will include both seasonal hires and longer term roles. The PAM responsibilities will include recruiting, onboarding, training, productivity/quality monitoring, coaching and performance reviews. The PAM will provide their subject matter expertise to address complex coverage and reimbursement escalations. The PAM will support the implementation of new capabilities, program enhancements and collateral for the Access 360 program. This position will also attend various meetings, trainings and conferences to represent Access 360. The PAM will collaborate with the following departmental team members to successfully execute all program requirements: Sr. Program Managers, Work Force Management team, PMO team, Quality and Training team, and Marketing Team.
Key Roles/ Responsibilities:
- Recruit, train, manage, coach and contribute to retention efforts of employees
- Plans, organizes, and directs day to day activities for Access 360 team to ensure 100% case fulfillment with 100% customer satisfaction
o Manage assignments and troubleshooting
o Collaborates with Workforce team to schedule team members appropriately to match the demands of the daily/weekly/monthly workflow
o Actively coaching team members to maximize performance
- Maintains morale and work standards to ensure compliance with federal, state, local and company policies
- Directly monitor the timeliness and quality of support provided by agents
- Assertively seeks solutions at the root level of problems
- Monitor and report program performance and results against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and global standards
- Communicate all production and non-production standards, guidelines and information to the supervised staff
- Ensure on-time delivery of performance reports and responses to inquiries from other functional areas
- Support the development of plans to meet future resource needs
- Work with Access 360 Quality and Training team to establish training plans for the supervised staff
- Conduct employee evaluations and coach employees on their individual development plans
- Provide weekly feedback to External Resource Management Organization (ERMO) point of contact on the performance of all EMR Contingent Worker team members
- Provide sound analytics and solutions around general reimbursement trends and access barriers
- Prepare and present presentations to Senior Leadership summarizing service utilization, gaps, improvements and opportunities
- Support development and implementation of collateral and processes for the Access 360 program, including but not limited to standard operating procedures, work instructions, reference documents, business rules, call scripts, templates, training presentations, and certification requirements
- Support implementation of new Access 360 program capabilities including participation in design/brainstorming meetings, requirements gathering, review and project implementation meetings, user acceptance testing, verification of production.
- Participate upon request in various meetings or communications with cross functional teams (Field Reimbursement Manager (FRM) Regional calls, Strategic Field Communications, Patient Safety, Commercial Learning, Marketing, Compliance, etc) to represent Access Services.
- Support the Senior Program Managers in assessing and meeting the Therapeutic Area (TA) resource needs
- Provide support as required to the Operations Director(s) to assist in the fulfillment of his/her responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of healthcare/healthcare reimbursement experience; high level of proficiency in reimbursement and access
- Benefit investigations, specialty pharmacy distribution,
- Commercial and Government payer reimbursement policies and procedures, regulatory and administrative rules
- Expert knowledge of specialty medicines
- Proven track record for consistently meeting or exceeding qualitative, as well as any relevant quantitative, targets and goals
- Experience with HIPAA policy, patient access data and analytics
- Business travel, by air or car, may be required for internal and external business meetings up to 20%
- Training experience
- Must be able to support all hours of operations that are between 8:00am - 8:00pm EST
- Master’s Degree in related field
- Billing/ Coding background in buy and bill and Specialty Pharmacy markets
- Project Management experience
- Ability to hire, train, manage, coach and retain staff
- Ability to drive projects and cases to completion, be self-directed, have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical thinking, problem solving and decision making
- Effective organizational management
- Provide organization systems for designing and measuring work processes
- Dedication to continuous improvement through empowerment and management by data and market research
- Creates a climate in which people want to do their best
- Can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members
- Expertise in using Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Can design practices, processes, and procedures which allow managing from a distance
- Dedicated to providing organization or enterprise-wide common systems for designing and measuring work processes
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple parallel projects
- Business acumen; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology and information affecting Access Services programs
- Managing through ambiguity
- Managing without authority
- Presentation skills
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.