If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Patient Access Associate in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Patient Access Associate (PAA) will be an essential member of the Access Services team. This position will be responsible for providing education and information relating to the utilization of available resources to support appropriate patient access to AstraZeneca (AZ) therapies. This includes monitoring patient cases that come through AstraZeneca Access 360™ program.
This role demands excellent customer service and responsive support to Healthcare Providers (HCPs) and Patients/Caregivers. The role will focus on probing customer needs, delivering appropriate information and offering proposed solutions to identified reimbursement access barriers. Additionally, the PAA will establish strong internal AZ relationships with our Market Access and Patient Strategies (MAPS) colleagues to include but not limited to Field Reimbursement Managers (FRMs) and Account Directors (ADs). The PAA will also manage external communications with Payers, Pharmacies and AZ 3rd party partners.
Key Roles/ Responsibilities:
- As an Access 360 point of contact, the PAA will coordinate appropriate aspects of patient support request through to completion for assigned geographical region
- Manage relationships with Access 360 customers via all available communication channels (calls, emails, chat, etc.) including but not limited to relaying research and follow-up status results
- Onboard and educate HCPs on applicable available resources and procedures to ensure timely case processing based on Therapeutic Area business rules
- Coordinate HCP onboarding in partnership with geographically aligned FRM
- Establish HCP communication and channel preferences and needs
- Understand best available times during the day or establish regular touch points
- Channels (HCP portal, chat, email, fax, & phone/vmail)
- Review Resources (HCP Portal, Patient Savings Portal, Access 360 website and collateral, etc.)
- Serve as the designated point of contact for an assigned geographic region for all AZ MAPS personnel
- Manage escalations in a timely, effective, and coordinated manner by engaging members of the MAPS team
- Partner with FRMs on Account business reviews and conduct virtual or field visits as appropriate to build customer loyalty
- Work collaboratively with MAPS colleagues to better understand and work on solutions to payer policies that impact patient access
- Demonstrate best in class customer service skills in managing the complexity of interactions involved with this position
- Provide actionable insights and solutions around general reimbursement trends
- Act as Reimbursement Subject Matter expert on key focus areas (Ex. Buy and Bill, Patient Savings Program, etc.)
- Prepare and deliver presentations, and training to various audiences summarizing service offerings, service utilization, actionable insights, and continuous improvements areas as needed
- Business travel, by air or car, may be required for internal and external business meetings up to 25%
- Bachelor’s degree (health sciences, managed healthcare, public policy, social worker or related disciplines are preferred)
- Three years healthcare reimbursement experience; proficiency in all aspects of reimbursement, i.e., benefit investigations, private and public payor reimbursement policies and procedures, regulatory and administrative rules, etc is required
- Experience with patient assistance programs: operational policies and processes
- Superior customer service and communication skills
- Active listening skills
- Written and verbal skills
- Presentation skills
- Proven track record for consistently meeting or exceeding qualitative, as well as any relevant quantitative, targets and goals
- Master’s degree
- Healthcare reimbursement experience with specialty biologics (oral and infused products)
- Billing/ Coding background in buy and bill and Specialty Pharmacy markets
- Experience within the following Therapeutic Areas – (Oncology, Cardiovascular/Metabolic, Respiratory, and Infectious Disease)
- Expert knowledge of national/local payer and reimbursement landscape
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.