This role is responsible for prosecution of part of the enzyme patent portfolio of GVF/N at the San Diego site (Verenium) under the oversight of a senior patent agent (IP Manager for Enzymes). The San Diego site has been designated as a global R&D Center for enzyme development pursuant to the Enzyme Roadmap, requiring on-site support on intellectual property matters.
On-site support for intellectul property matters needed as the San Diego site is designated as the global R&D center for Enzymes at BASF. In-house support preferred by R&D and Legal groups for both depth of support and cost savings.
- Drafting and filing and prosecuting patent applications before the USPTO and management of corresponding foreign cases
- Work closely with business, R&D project teams, and inventors to identify and articulate opportunities for patent protection
- Searching relevant databases for relevant art, review search results for patentability and landscaping purposes
- Supporting Patent attorneys in patentability and FTO analysis
- Responsibility to coordinate prosecution activities with Global IP Enzyme Strategy
Accreditation or equivalent
- Minimum of B.S. in relevant technical area (Biology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, etc).
- Minimum of 7 years relevant work experience in legal/intellectual property, including 4+ years of experience working on patent searching, drafting, and prosecution.
- Registration before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Self-starter as well as team player, working well with other patent practitioners and support staff.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, communication skills, and writing skills.
- Must have in-depth understanding of US patent law and general understanding of foreign patent laws, including Europe and Asia.
- Able to work effectively in a changing environment, prioritize demands, and use keen judgement. Experience in a corporate environment required, including experience working with various functional groups.
- Must be able to build strong and enduring client relationships.
- Proficiency with USPTO Electronic Filing System (EFS) and Public and Private PAIR system required.
- Patent searches with established databases required (e.g. GenomeQuest, PatBase).
Primary Location: United States-California-San Diego
Function: LEIN - Legal & Insurance
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: San Diego
Job Segment: Microbiology, Patent, Biotech, Scientific, Intellectual Property, Science, Legal, Engineering
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.