At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Oncology
Global Marketing Director (Lung Cancer) in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers. As well as other tumour types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
AstraZeneca has an exiciting portfolio of growth brands in Oncology including approved in-line brands and a robust set of late-stage development programs. Oncology is a strategic priority and growing business for AstraZeneca. One of the key assets driving this growth is a new Oncology drug, which was first approved in November 2015 in the US, and is now approved in over 45 countries for the treatment of pateints with metastatic epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) T790M mutation-positive non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Global Marketing Director (Lung Cancer) will be an integral member of the Oncology Global Marketing team with responsibility for leading the development of global promotional strategies and tactics for healthcare professional audiences, including for the launch of the first-line EGFRm NSCLC indication, as well as responsibility for the development and implementation of other strategic brand initiatives.
The successful candidate will be an experienced individual with a strong track record of brand marketing and commercial success in the biopharmaceutical industry. He/She must have the proven ability to provide strategic brand management, vision and direction within a fast moving, challenging and energetic global commercial environment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for developing the brand strategy, positioning and messaging
Developing global promotional strategies and tactics for the existing second-line indication and for the launch of a first-line indication for a new Oncology drug
Accountable for engaging with regions and key markets to ensure launch readiness and commercial excellence
Responsible for developing strategies and and improvement plans for global brand performance
Responsible for managing relationship and interfaces with key external partners and vendors including the global creative agency of record
Accountable for commercial evaluation and prioritisation of LCM strategic options and strategies
Key Relationships to reach solutions
Leadership of Brand Team including Medical Affairs, Business Insights, Pricing Market Access, Conference & Symposia, Communications
Requirements –Education and Experience
Internal (to AZ or team)
Cross functional teams – Medical Affairs, Pricing and Market Access, Business Insights
Regional and Marketing Company representatives including TA and brand leads
Global Product Team – Clinical / R&D
External (to AZ)
External vendors – communications / creative agencies
Key opinion leaders
New Leadership Capabilities
Commitment to Customers and Integrity - Demonstrates commitment to customers (internal or external) by acting ethically to generate value for them and for AZ.
Strategic Leadership - Based on an understanding of the external environment and its impact on AZ, identifies opportunities to enhance the business and creates a sense of clarity, purpose and commitment.
Acts Decisively - Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others, based on an underlying courage to enable appropriate risk-taking for the business.
Drives Accountability - Holds self and others accountable in order to ensure performance expectations (both the ‘what’ and the ‘how’) are met or exceeded.
Works Collaboratively - Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration with the aim of achieving better business results. Boundaries can exist between individuals, geographies, cultures, teams, functions, organizations, etc.
Develops People and Organisation - Invests one’s time and energy to proactively develop oneself, others, and the organisation.
- Education: Bachelors degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Broad commercial experience including launch / post-launch of speciality care products: preferably strong knowledge in oncology healthcare professional marketing experience
- Global and/or country brand marketing experience
- Strong leadership attributes to set direction, generate commitment, balance short and long term needs, constructively resolve issues
- Experience and knowledge of a broad base of external customers including prescribers, patients, and payors
- Understanding of clinical data and biological mechanisms to be able to interperet and effective communicate the science
- Understanding of technical considerations of clinical development and regulatory submissions and the commercial implications
- Global travel: 20-25% global travel anticipated
- Cross-functional project team leadership and influencing skills
- Cross-market project team leadership and influencing skills
- Interactions with internal & external customers and stakeholders to drive success
- Understanding of pharmaceutical marketing to specialty care healthcare professional audiences
- Understanding of general business and core marketing principles and application to pharmaceutical market challenges
- Understanding of the development process and necessary commercial touch points with cross-functional global product team members
- Understanding of core marketing and business skill sets
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively develop powerful marketing materials for our customers and to write and deliver effective presentations for senior internal stakeholders.
- Strong strategic thinking and judgement
- Strong influencing skills, to influence and lead across local markets to ensure strong executional commercial focus
- Delivery of high-impact above-market and in-market customer facing/shaping initiatives
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.