Mobile App Developer/Architect Redwood City, CA
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Mobile App Developer/Architect in Redwood City, CA, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. IT provides support and solutions globally, solves complex operational and business challenges, enables innovation and increases growth by bridging Information Technology and science with superior technical expertise.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The AstraZeneca IT function is undergoing significant transformation which will address performance, perception and profile. The IT Transformation Programmer will break the default outsourcing mentality, drive greater cohesion amongst senior IT leadership, begin the simplification of what has become an overly complex function and build a world class IT organization.
High Level Function Overview
The purpose of CTO Office is to enable AstraZeneca to achieve Scientific Leadership and Return to Growth through the innovative use of Information Technology. The focus will be on 3 key areas; Cloud & SAAS, Data & Analytics, and Mobility & Digital. The team will achieve this by: Developing innovative, applications of technology to solve priority business challenges, creating the future technology plan and supporting its adoption, embedding emerging technology through agile teams, and developing a pipeline of future information technology talent.
Key responsibilities & Accountabilities for Lead Mobile Application Architect
The expectation is to play the role of architect/developer/technical lead in Mobile application development efforts. This includes app development within iOS, Android, Web using cloud driven services and may include integration with smart devices and sensors. You will have a lead role in mobile application architecture including working with Cloud & data science team to influence cloud and analytics driven services to power rich personalized and intelligent application experiences and have a lead role in providing the mobile app engineering perspective and influence product ideas by working closely with UX and product management teams. You will work with Program management to create a predictable, high quality app development and delivery cycle using agile technical best practices including test driven development, test automation, paired programming etc. Work with UX teams to innovate & build rich and intuitive user experiences. Develop and deliver high quality mobile application experiences using lean product development approach with rapid iterations. Work with Product management to submit apps to public app stores, monitor end user engagement with app features & experiences and provide input on key features and experiences to increase engagement. Architect core application components and develop code which enables them to be used as reusable assets, including packaging them as native SDK libraries in iOS and Android, SDK documentation. Understand the regulatory requirements of a medical device and mobile medical app and establish clear ways to incorporate them to enable rapid iterations of the mobile features and experiences. Perform test automation and document generation automation for regulatory submissions. Collaborate effectively with other stakeholders including regulatory, compliance, clinical experts and get their inputs into the application experiences. Stay on top of evolving trends in iOS, Android ecosystems, IoT, VR/AR technologies to power intelligent mobile apps. Work with UX and product management teams to build quick prototypes to validate product ideas that leverage evolving trends in smartphone, wearables and IoT
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or equivalent
- Five or more years of experience in Mobile application development in iOS and Android
- Two or more years of experience in delivering Mobile apps that leverage cloud driven technologies, services and APIs
- Track record & Skills to work in a fast, rapid development and product delivery cycles
- Track record & skills of effective collaboration with key stake holders including Product management, program management, UX, Cloud engineering and data Scientists
- Track record of delivering on at least a few successful/ great mobile products / experiences
- Track record of proving technical leadership and mentoring to mobile apps engineers
- Track record of coming up with creative, innovative product ideas and user experiences
- A track record of business Innovation
- Previously delivered significant information systems
- Strong Influencing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Master's degree
- Five or more years of experience developing highly scalable responsive web and native (iOS, Android, Windows) mobile apps
- Deep understanding of online and mobile space, including consumption methods, user experiences, partners, platforms (PC, smartphone, tablet, game consoles, smart TVs), content protection (DRM), and monetization systems
- Good understanding of measuring user behavior across digital platforms, and using those metrics to refine and define product features
- Five or more years of experience designing and developing native iOS and/or Android Mobile Applications on multiple smartphone, wearable form factors.
- Two or more years of experience in Objective-C, Java/Android, GitHub/GiT, xCode, XCTest, CI/CD, Calabash, Ruby
- Two or more years of experience creating and consuming JSON/REST web services and best practices for optimizing web services and other integration systems for mobility
- Experience with creating iOS and/or Android specific development standards, guidelines, and best practices literature
- Track record of shipping a medical device/ mobile medical app.
- Expert knowledge with iOS and/or Android frameworks: UIKit, Core Data, Core Graphics, Core Media, OpenGL, AddressBook, EventKit, MapKit, Security
- Expert knowledge with Objective-C: Automatic Reference Counting (ARC), Grand Central Dispatch (GCD), Blocks, Literals, Properties, Protocols, Delegates
- Expert knowledge with standard tools: Xcode, Interface Builder (including Storyboards), Instruments, LLDB (debugger), Unit Testing
- Proven knowledge in iOS and/or Android application functionality and limitations including Objective C, cocoa framework, core data and other native API integration
- Some experience with User interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design experience (wireframes, mockups, etc.)
- Strong understanding of the Enterprise Mobility Management components and capabilities (MAM, MCM, MDM, Security, etc.)
- Strong understanding of the web technology stack, e.g. HTTP, cookies, headers, caching, DNS lookup, etc.
- Familiarity with HIPPA, PCI and other data privacy standards and ability to apply them to product development activities
- Thorough understanding of agile software development methodologies, values, and procedures at a software services or product company
- Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle including an in-depth knowledge of testing practices and techniques
- Fluency in design patterns and software engineering best practices (MVC, Responsive design, UX principles)
- Experience conducting workshops and training sessions for audiences ranging from senior developers to business customers.
- Strong leadership experience in leading a distributed team to deliver high quality products
- Strong problem solving skills with a history of driving the development of major software components
- Strong decision making, facilitation, influencing, financial acumen and negotiation skills with demonstrated results in managing through complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreement
- An effective communicator, able to clearly articulate ideas and inspire others for action
- 'Self-starter' attitude and the ability to make decisions independently
- Quick learner; demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and programming languages on own as necessary
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.