Location:Mountain View, California, United StatesJob reference:
Mar. 08, 2017
The purpose of Research & Development Information (RDI) is to partner with the three R&D science units, namely MedImmune, Innovative Medicines & Early Development (IMED), and Global Medicines Development (GMD), and support them in delivering the drug development pipeline.
Our ambition is to provide world-class expertise in Scientific Information & Technology solutions, and to “Make IT inspire R&D” through the following mission:
- Increase productivity and creative insights - simple, easy to use IT solutions that delight
- Support informed decision making - bringing together the right information at the right time
- Build future competitive advantage - through our expertise in science, technology and information
In delivering to this mission, R&D Information requires people with hybrid skill sets of technical ability and knowledge of the R&D processes.
The role holder should have a deep knowledge and understanding of the R&D biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical domain to deliver tangible and measurable value to the MedImmune business. The role will assume a Business Analyst / Informatician position focus in the RDI delivery of scientific IT solutions via programs/projects and/or services.
- Establish working relationships with the MedImmune customer organization to develop an in-depth understanding of business priorities and early insight into changing needs in order to inform and shape IT demand.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of IT projects and services aligned with the MedImmune business and strategies to ensure that execution meets or exceeds Service Level Agreements and the solution fits for purpose.
- Collect, analyze, and document business requirements; Capable of translating business needs into technical design and informatics solutions
- Use scientific and computational knowledge to evaluate and recommend solutions that drive new insights on existing data
- Prototype and develop solutions for data processing, analysis and workflow automation
- Coordinate first line support for R&D staff on supported R&D IS scientific applications / systems in a timely manner through professional services personnel
- Serve as liaison between R&D and Enterprise IS function to resolve issues where solution is outside of R&D IS support group's remit or capability
- Ensure that validated laboratory systems are maintained and kept up to date as determined by relevant company policies
Required Skills & Knowledge
Ability to cope with standard problems/common situations, is competent at day-to-day application of the capability, and is able to apply and present concepts, information and solutions.
Demonstrates a strong understanding of the processes, stages, activities, and decision points in either drug discovery Research or Translational Science areas.
Understanding of the interdependencies between the deliverables of the various functions.
Ability to apply this knowledge to solve problems and knows when to enlist help from others.
Established knowledge of scientific domain(s) and/or some experience in working in the scientific domain.
Competent to develop and deliver technical solutions for data management, transformation, processing and analysis.
Good understanding of software development lifecycle and project management methodology.
A good understanding of the techniques and approaches applied in the scientific area of expertise and how to interpret to derive useful information.
Comfortable to work in a regulated environment by following policies and standards.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.