Location:Gaithersburg, Maryland, United StatesJob reference:
Mar. 21, 2017
The purpose of Research & Development Information (RDI) is to partner with the three R&D science units, namely MedImmune, Innovative Medicines & Early Development (IMED), and Global Medicines Development (GMD), and support them in delivering the drug development pipeline.
Our ambition is to provide world-class expertise in Scientific Information & Technology solutions, and to “Make IT inspire R&D” through the following mission:
- Increase productivity and creative insights - simple, easy to use IT solutions that delight
- Support informed decision making - bringing together the right information at the right time
- Build future competitive advantage - through our expertise in science, technology and information
In delivering to this mission, R&D Information requires people with hybrid skill sets of technical ability and knowledge of the R&D processes.
The role holder should have deep knowledge and understanding of the R&D biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical domain to deliver tangible and measurable value to the MedImmune business. The role will assume a leading technical architectural position in the delivery of scientific IT solutions via programs/projects and/or services, and develop team capabilities in the areas of application and infrastructure design, implementation and lifecycle management.
- Establish working relationships with the MedImmune customer organization to develop an in-depth understanding of business priorities and early insight into changing needs in order to inform and shape IT demand.
- Contribute to technical development efforts originating from the IT portfolio, participate in IS/IT initiatives and provide active guidance for better planning and decision making in programs/projects and services.
- Assess and review architecture work, in programs/projects/services, and support a balance between the immediate short-term and the strategic long-term perspectives.
- Use specialist knowledge and understanding of the MedImmune business area direction and priorities to drive innovative solutions to issues and challenges faced by the customer area.
- Develop capabilities (methods, processes, best practices, etc.) in at least one of the architecture, system development/implementation, or technical/system engineering capabilities.
- Drive solution evaluation and selection decisions, buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which contribute to the creation of business case.
- Architect and design comprehensive sets of solutions that meet business requirements and are aligned to AstraZeneca standards, providing subject matter expertise to ensure business opportunities are identified and realized.
- Ensure that architecture decisions support both business and IT strategy, and that architectures delivered are compliant with relevant AZ architecture standards, blueprints and roadmaps.
- Guide and support architects and engineers (including third party suppliers) in the development and documentation of IS/IT architectures for complex and business critical projects.
- Contribute to the development of architecture and engineering standards, roadmaps (1-5 years) and blueprints for one or more architecture focus areas or business domains.
Required Skills & Knowledge
- Demonstrated understanding of the processes, stages, activities, and decision points in either preclinical or clinical areas.
- Demonstrated understanding of the interdependencies between the deliverables of the various functions.
- Comfortable with key decision points.
- Ability to apply knowledge to solve problems and knows when to enlist help from others.
- Established knowledge or some experience with working in a specific disease or therapy area.
- Established knowledge of scientific domain(s) and/or some experience working in the scientific domain.
- A good understanding of the scientific theory of the scientific domain.
- A good understanding of the techniques and approaches applied in the scientific area of expertise and how to interpret to derive useful information.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.