Region: Boston, Massachusetts
Relypsa, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of polymeric medicines for patients with conditions that are often overlooked and undertreated and can be addressed in the gastrointestinal tract. The Company's first medicine, Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension, was developed based on Relypsa's rich legacy in polymer science. Relypsa was founded in 2007 and, in September 2016, became a Vifor Pharma company. More information is available at www.relypsa.com.
Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension was approved in October 2015 for the treatment of hyperkalemia, a condition defined as elevated blood potassium levels that can cause abnormal heart rhythms and even sudden death. A potassium binder, Veltassa® is the first new medicine for the treatment of hyperkalemia in more than 50 years and is the first commercialized medicine resulting from Relypsa’s polymer technology platform. Relypsa is committed to ensuring that people living with the burden of hyperkalemia have access to Veltassa®.
The Medical Science Director (MSD) will participate in the strategic development and tactical execution of plans to engage scientific thought leaders and act as a conduit for providing accurate and updated clinical, scientific and medical information to Health Care Professionals and other members of the scientific community. The MSD will provide non-promotional scientific, educational, and research support for the Relypsa product portfolio, in particular for patiromer in hyperkalemic patients with chronic kidney disease and/or heart failure. The MSD will participate in identifying experts for compounds in the development pipeline to gain clinical information to better inform Relypsa’s Research and development efforts. In addition, the MSD will provide requested clinical and scientific information to members of the provider and payer community (private insurance, payers, medical groups, government agencies, and health systems with drug formularies), in compliance with all relevant company policies.
• Develop clinical knowledge expertise in the hyperkalemia treatment landscape including current treatment strategies, and new therapeutic developments
• Participate and sometimes lead the development and execution of medical strategies to identify, key hyperkalemia/nephrology/heart failure experts, investigators and institutions strategic to research and development efforts
• Develop and ensure alignment in medical education activities for healthcare professionals through MSD-delivered presentations, participation in medical meetings, and other appropriate venues to enhance product and disease state knowledge
• Collaborate with the Relypsa clinical team, medical monitors and CRA's to coordinate and optimize educational and research support for sites/investigators participating in Relypsa’s clinical trials
• Respond to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored trials (IST), and supporting IST submissions through appropriate internal review and approval processes
• Ensure alignment on content of effective clinical presentations provided to internal and external audiences, ensuring presentations are tailored to meet the specific needs of the audience (appropriate response to unsolicited requests)
• Ensure efficient information exchange between MSD colleagues in the field and office-based clinical, medical affairs, and drug safety team members, so that key clinical, safety and research issues are identified and communicated to and from industry leaders and the appropriate Relypsa departments to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialized products
• Identify educational needs within the medical community around hyperkalemia disease state management
• Maintain clinical expertise through comprehensive education including attendance at relevant symposium, scientific workshops, and review of key journals; and where applicable participation in required internal training, and presentations
• Adhere to all regulatory and compliance guidelines and company policies in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information, including responses to unsolicited requests for medical information
• MD, PharmD, PhD or other allied medical degree preferred, or comparable experience
• 5-7 years’ experience with a minimum of two years in field medical.
• Knowledge and experience in the field of nephrology and/or cardiovascular medicine preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with relevant internal stakeholders and to lead projects and work in cross functional teams
• Excellent leadership, management and negotiation skills. The ability to work in a fast-paced, highly visible and dynamic environment is critical
• Ability to influence and work effectively across functions and operate in a matrix environment
• Ability to travel 40-60%
• No relocation required (Home-office based). There are multiple positions available across the US
As an employee of Relypsa, you will actively contribute to the development of potential new products. We provide opportunities for all employees to collaborate, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Relypsa’s high regard for our employees.
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Relypsa is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.