At Astra Zeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
As a Medical Information Trainer , EGFR-Lung Cancer in Gaithersburg, MD you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
As a member of the Commercial Learning & Development (CL&D) – US Oncology team, the Medical Information Trainer (MIT) - EGFR-Lung Cancer is responsible for the filtering of complex scientific content to simple understandable concepts for internal stakeholders, including the training team, brand and sales colleagues, and field sales to set them up for clinical acumen success. This will include identifying, designing, delivering, and evaluating learning opportunities focused on disease state, diagnosis, prognosis, competitive therapeutic landscape, and product knowledge for the EGFR-Lung Cancer franchise. As a key member of the Lung Cancer training team, the MIT will also liaise with other functional areas including brand and sales leadership and colleagues as well as medical and regulatory affairs. This role will include some travel for field rides, national/regional sales meetings, relevant scientific conferences and other training events.
The CL&D – US Oncology team is a diverse group of professionals building the bridge between brand and sales teams to deliver on business outcomes by fostering capabilities and creating behavior change in AstraZeneca’s pharmaceutical sales specialists. The fast-paced Oncology landscape presents numerous challenges, including ambiguity, shifting timelines, and constant change. As a consequence, we leverage our expertise in clinical acumen, business acumen, customer engagement, leadership development and launch excellence on a daily basis. With a strong grounding in adult learning principles and understanding of organizational development, we consistently provide our stakeholders with innovative and impactful learning solutions to solve their business problems for the betterment of oncology patients.
- Actively identifies new clinical topics for training, including disease state advances, product updates, companion diagnostics, competitive intelligence, and competitor product messaging
- Keeps abreast of clinical knowledge and skills required to provide knowledgeable insight into training initiatives and resources
- Reviews training resources for accurate, relevant scientific content in an easily understandable format.
- Consistently leverages clinical data to enhance the clinical acumen of the sales training team and all sales training initiatives
- Devotes time to acquire knowledge as it relates to Lung Cancer/EGFR mutations
- Perceived by others as a therapeutic area expert with ability to provide advice and explanation.
- Proactively develops solutions to address the clinical acumen needs of stakeholders, including members of the training team, field sales, and sales leadership in order to create and customize training accordingly.
- Affects direction of asset and resource development and influence business processes including medical and regulatory review
- Works in collaboration with vendor partners to ensure project timelines and needs are met and aligned to business needs.
- Builds rapport and creates positive working relationships with all stakeholder groups
- Seeks Sales Training, Brand Team, MIT, Medical Affairs, and Field Sales partnerships to create and deliver scientific training, share best practices and ensure alignment.
- Looks for opportunities to work across functional areas within AstraZeneca and the industry
- Creates innovative learning materials from approved content
- Conducts team knowledge updates through regular Teachback sessions
- Certifies internal team son competencies as required
- Facilitates learning sessions for entire team and new hires
- Advanced Degree in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, NP, or equivalent
- 4 years of experience in pharmaceutical or health care industry
- Demonstrated expertise in drug information communication
- Demonstrated leadership, communication skills and project management experience.
- Demonstrated command of therapeutic knowledge of AZ brand and competitive products and disease states.
- Knowledge of FDA requirements
- Lung Cancer/EGFR mutation experience
- 3+ years of experience in applying adult learning methodologies
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.