If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Material Handler II in Frederick, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Material Handler II follows Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in daily activities. Performs receiving, picking, shipping, equipment monitoring and material control. Revises SOP’s. Initiates and completes deviations, as required. Provides leadership to other team members.
Follows Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in daily activities:
- Responsible for shipment of hazardous materials and samples.
- Responsible for receiving GMP and non-GMP materials.
- Utilizes SAP to record all receipts.
Picking and Delivery Process
- Responsible for picking, packing, loading and delivering GMP materials to regional clinical and commercial manufacturing facilities.
- Must be capable of writing bills of lading.
- Responsible for storage and handling of hazardous materials.
- Utilizes material handling equipment, including forklifts.
Storage, Handling and Shipment of Bulk Drug Substance (BDS)
- Responsible for pressure monitoring, storage and shipment of tanks and bags containing BDS. Includes execution of highly proceduralized handling and shipping processes.
Inventory Control Process
- Responsible for control of quarantined and released materials.
- Assists Quality Assurance in the raw material release process.
- Maintains batch segregation of both quarantined and released materials.
- Responsible for control of cell bank inventories.
- Processes returns, rejections and destruction of materials.
- Responsible for sorting, delivering and processing mail. Also responsible for processing outgoing mail via USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintenance of material storage and handling equipment, including temperature monitoring devices and forklifts.
- Responsible for handling of gas cylinders.
- Responsible for warehouse maintenance activities, including routine cleaning.
- May be responsible for additional warehouse management activities, including fleet maintenance, equipment maintenance and procurement of equipment and materials.
- May serve as team leader when required.
- Performs routine operation checks and cleaning.
- Schedules annual DOT inspections, including DOT recertifications.
- Arranges special shipments.
- Processes international mail.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Will be expected to carry the department cell phone and respond to calls.
Education and Years of Experience:
- High school diploma required, some college course work in Business, Life Sciences preferred.
- 2-3 years warehouse or supply chain logistics experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Class C commercial driver’s license (CDL) with hazmat endorsement required upon hire.
- Training and certification in shipment of hazardous materials and forklift operation required.
- Ability to prioritize work requirements, must be well organized and able to manage time efficiently, and must have a strong sense of responsibility.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Driver’s license required.
- D.O.T. certification and forklift certification a plus.
- Experience using Microsoft Outlook, EXCEL and Word a plus.
- Experience using SAP a plus.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.