The Manager Project Engineering is responsible for the development and execution of new process development including the company’s capital investment program in a professional, cost and time efficient manner. The role includes process engineering oversight for process design, testing and optimization. This position directs the planning and coordination of engineering, design and construction of new facilities or renovation of existing facilities through direct reports in the Project Engineering department and/or as Project Manager, leading the cross-functional project teams, reporting project status and plan to the Steering Committee, and filling the project engineering role depending on project. Key goal for the position is defining effective scopes for projects and delivering projects on time, on budget, within defined scope and quality standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
* Leads and manages the project engineering department in all their assignments, developing and coaching personnel.
* Provides guidance and oversight to ensure that newly developed manufacturing processes are cost-effective and well-characterized.
* Provides expertise for new process and equipment design, scale-up, tech transfer, and validation activities.
* Manages and designs one or more projects as Project Manager as assigned, with the goal of on time and within budget performance, and completion according to project scope, quality standards and acceptance criteria.
* Oversees multiple engineering projects with Capital expenditures typically from $100,000 to several million dollars with a wide range of functionality, including expansion, remodeling and retrofitting facilities for manufacturing of APIs and infrastructure to accommodate new products and larger production capacity;
* Develops the concept for fulfilling the project scope and estimates expense and capital costs, drives bidding, project bonding and negotiation of agreements with contractors, architectural, engineering and construction firms;
* Negotiates with Federal/State/Local governments for permitting;
* Works with the Steering Committee to obtain the necessary resources, and generates the defined project outcome in documentation and operational performance;
* Develops standards and best practices for facility design, utility and manufacturing systems and engineering;
* Leads and manages the development and execution phases through cross-functional engineering project teams from conceptualization phase to start-up and validation, including Capital Approval process and project reporting, maintaining compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and company standards;
* Confers with management, operations and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, projections for production and production processes, for the purpose of optimizing business impact of engineering projects.
* Identifies required external resources and, together with Procurement department, negotiates contracts and purchase orders with vendors and contractors.
* Develops and manages projects’ budgets and schedules and coordinates and controls execution of the projects to plans.
* Implements project management best practices through work plans, critical path analysis and earned value milestones to meet objectives.
* Reduces risks, maximizes benefits and reduces costs.
* Maintains and communicates performance metrics for the projects to teams and company senior management, while setting and maintaining high expectations for team performance.
* Participates in engineering and general design reviews as required and, depending on the project, actively fills the project engineering role.
* Refines and completes designs and lay-outs preparing for and following design review meetings.
* Prepares proposal documentation including required technical data.
* Effectively works across organizational and functional boundaries to build effective teams and engineering department.
* Takes a leadership role to implement and ensure safe work practices.
* Available for business travel as required.
* Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, Master’s degree preferred.
* Minimum 8 years of experience in the pharmaceutical or specialty chemical industries.
* Minimum 5 years of experience as Engineering Project Manager, leading conceptual development, design and implementation, planning and scheduling, and project management of major engineering projects.
* Development and supervision of assigned functions.
* Builds, develops and manages cross-functional project teams capable of designing, developing and executing engineering projects.
* Ability to successfully interface with Steering Committee, peers, engineers from all disciplines, mechanical and construction contractors.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
* Exposure to a combination of normal office-type environments, construction environments and shop environments.
* Potential for exposure to dust, odors, fumes, various chemicals and noise.