The Manager, Medical Communications is involved in the development of all medical/scientific publication activities, within the publications plan. He/she interacts with authors, the cross-functional team and the medical communications agency, as appropriate. The Manager should support his/her line manager in the communications between the Medical Communications group, authors, the cross-functional team and the communications agency at all stages of the development of publications. Initial review of all publications is assigned to the Manager and is performed in conjunction with the line manager. The Manager acts in a capacity where the individual’s input will add to the quality of publications.
The Manager delivers the tactics identified in the plan(s) and support his/her line manager in communications with both internal and external groups. The Manager is responsible for:
* Timely delivery of high quality, medical communications to relevant audiences in assigned therapeutic area
* Build and maintain excellent relationships with clinical experts, investigators, journal editors, and congress secretariats via high quality medical communications activities
* Assist in briefing and providing feedback to medical communications agencies/contract freelancers following review of medical communications from authors
* Effectively work with medical communications agencies/contract freelancers
* Ensure that medical/scientific communications activities are within company policies, procedures and GPP guidance.
* Conducts business in accordance with Vertex corporate values.
* Has a strong scientific background and an ability to understand and apply knowledge gained from medical literature.
* Acquire and maintain thorough understanding of industry and publications standards with respect to, authorship, GPP, quality and appropriateness of medical/scientific communications
* Stays abreast of new information and changes in the field (both therapeutic and GPP).
* Critically appraise medical/scientific literature
* A proven track record of strong writing skills to enable accurate and appropriate briefing – this will include copy writing, reviewing and editing
* A proven track record of attention to detail, and appropriate level follow-up
* An in-depth knowledge of the publications requirements and process, both internal and external
* Has an understanding of the clinical development process and biostatistics
* Strong interpersonal skills for effective professional communications to cultivate strong working relationships with internal and external groups
* Ability to communicate complex medical/scientific information in routine interactions/management of internal and external groups
* Skillfully plans, prioritizes, and executes multiple projects; ability to multitask and work both independently and within multi-disciplinary teams
* Conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner.
* Advanced scientific degree (e.g. Ph.D., PharmD). A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree may be accepted with extensive relevant experience
* 1-2 years prior experience working within the pharmaceutical industry or related fields or jobs with a relevant medical/scientific focus
* Experience within relevant therapeutic areas is preferred.
* Ability to critically analyze data and medical/scientific literature.
* Acquire relevant information from a variety of sources e.g. literature searches and be able to maintain accurate records of literature sources.
* Excellent writing, reviewing and editing skills with excellent attention to detail.
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, Mass., we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
See Job Description