Manager, Environmental Health and Safety
Areas of Expertise Desired:
Environmental Health & Safety
OVERALL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Responsible for XOMA’s Environmental Health and Safety programs to include policies, vendor management, metrics and training. Maintains compliance with all Federal, State, and Local regulations and coordinates any inspections from outside agencies. Demonstrated knowledge in the following: 29 CFR, 40 CFR, and Titles 8, 14, 17, 23, 24, 26, & 27 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR).
* Determine and administer necessary documentation for all EH&S required/related permits and licenses in a compliant manner.
* Evaluate facilities operations to ensure EH&S compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and Local requirements as they pertain to the Pharmaceutical/Bio-Tech industries.
* Serve as lead and facilitate routine facility safety and environmental audits to ensure compliance.
* Lead and facilitate Safety Steering Committee and Safety Committee to include development of agenda, identification of topics, delegation of minutes and follow up of action items.
* In conjunction with Human Resources, responsible for managing the workers compensation program.
* Establish and maintain all EH&S program goals for tracking and displaying EH&S metrics.
* Ensure compliance with all EH&S regulations through improved visibility and programs.
* Develop and implement required employee EH&S training programs for various types of employee groups (new hire orientation, supervisors, lab workers, ergonomics and sub safety teams).
* Accountable for all EH&S related schedules, records and files, including Hepatitis B vaccination scheduling and records.
* Responsible for outside vendor contracts and relationships associated with all EH&S requirements for the site.
* Review manifests and other documentation associated with bio-hazardous and hazardous waste disposal and ensure appropriate material is forwarded as required by regulation.. Serve as the primary vendor contact.
* Development, maintenance, and implementation of policies and procedures as related to EH&S requirements.
* Perform annual review of all EH&S policies, procedures, and programs to ensure they accurately reflect current changes in regulations.
* Responsible for all EH&S related regulatory agency and insurance inspections.
* Administer the EH&S Department regulatory reference material library, to include MSDS program.
* Lead programs for the reduction of hazardous waste, bio-hazardous waste, utilities, and non-hazardous solid waste.
* Understand the provision of the Uniform Fire Code and NIH guidelines for bi-safety and research involving recombinant DNA molecules.
* Coordinate safety shoe, safety eyeglass, and PPE programs.
* Coordinate preparation, review, and implementation of general safety procedures.
* Responsible for campus wide pest control of XOMA facilities.
* Manage the EH&S staff to meet department and Corporate goals.
* Prepare EH&S Department budget.
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with XOMA’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
* Bachelor's degree, preferably in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or related science.
* Minimum 5-8 years relevant experience, to include supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Must be driven, self motivated, and able to instill ownership of EH&S compliance in XOMA employees.
* Background and experience in radiation, chemical, and biological safety as they pertain to the pharmaceutical/bio-tech industries.
* Previous supervisory experience in managing such programs in a bio-pharmaceutical or related industry.
* Effective communication skills: Verbal and written.
* Must be able to effectively work in and with teams to produce quality results
E-Mail to a Friend
Add to Job Folder