BioSeek a division of DiscoveRx is seeking a highly motivated and team-oriented Manager of Cell-Based Screening and Automation, reporting to the Senior Director of Operations. In this position, you will supervise the operation of cell-based screening platforms in the Assay Operations group. You will lead a group of talented scientists, generating protein biomarker data that support preclinical drug development activities for client pharmaceutical companies, including evaluation of potency and efficacy in human disease model systems, identification of potential clinical biomarkers, and detection of potential off-target effects. You will be working cooperatively in a busy laboratory environment, responding to change with flexibility and adapting quickly to evolving circumstances. This is an excellent opportunity for a team player to lead a multi-disciplinary research/operations group focused on innovating and applying primary human cell-based technologies to the development of novel therapies.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Assay Automation group including the HTS laboratory. Duties will include:
• Supervising the HTS and Assay Automation groups
• Maintaining and developing the automation used for high throughput screening in human cell-based assays
• Ensuring client data meet internal QA/QC criteria and are completed on time
• Supporting the Research and Development group at BioSeek developing novel disease-focused assays
• Evaluating new detection technologies
• Identifying and testing new equipment for implementation in the lab
• Developing strategies for streamlining work flow and increasing capacity
• Tracking historical assay performance metrics
• Performing other duties as required and assigned
Daily duties include: data analysis and QA/QC; manage HTS laboratory and Assay Automation group; operation of the robotic assay systems; maintenance of new and existing software applications and tools; method development to support cell-based HTS.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND BACKGROUND:
• M.S./Ph.D. in biology or chemistry or a related discipline plus at least 8 years of cell-based assay experience in an industrial or academic laboratory setting including microtiter plate assay setup and execution.
• Experience with operation, maintenance and programming of laboratory automation equipment in a high throughput screening environment, cell-based assay design, data analysis, and computer programming is essential.
• Previous experience supervising laboratory scientific personnel is strongly preferred.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
• Must be able to work independently and have exceptional interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
• Essential techniques include:
o Experience with antibody-based detection technologies (ELISA, bead-based detection methods, and/or other multiplexing solutions) and other protein detection technologies.
o Hands-on expertise in programming automated robotic workstations.
• Additional skills of high value include:
o Experience with high-throughput cell-based screening
o Experience with antibody production and screening
o Solid computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, database, and statistical programs like Prism)
About BioSeek and DiscoveRx Corporation
BioSeek, a division of DiscoveRx, is improving the success rate of pharmaceutical research and development by integrating human biology from the earliest stages of drug discovery onward. Our BioMAP® systems platform incorporates predictive primary human cell-based disease models that generate uniquely informative biological activity profiles for each potential drug. As a result, our technology drives the selection and development of new drug candidates and safer chemicals. Learn more about the BioMAP platform at www.biomapsystems.com.
DiscoveRx® is an innovative company that develops, manufactures, and commercializes reagents, complete cell-based assay kits, profiling and screening services as well as other turn key solutions for the drug discovery, screening, and life science markets. Our biochemical and cell-based assays enable customers to improve research productivity and effectiveness of their screening, lead optimization and SAR campaigns, thus accelerating the discovery and development of new drugs. - See more at: www.discoverx.com. DiscoveRx has facilities in Fremont CA, San Diego CA, South San Francisco CA, and Birmingham, UK.
DiscoveRx is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.