Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Institute, maintain, and improve standard procedures for laboratory efficiencies, including monitoring laboratory inventory and expenditures.
- Responsible for efficient management of mouse colonies through proper allocation of technical support resources as need in response to scientific need, in consultation with the scientific program manager.
- Responsible, directly or indirectly, for care, repair and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Ensure good laboratory practice directly or indirectly through supervised activities of technicians and trainees.
- Ensures all lab staff are compliant with DFCI, NIH and sponsor mandatory trainings
- Works with PI on human subjects and animal protocol submissions and annual updates.
- Responsible for managing efficient and effective administration of laboratory protocols.
- Train and manage staff scientists and research technicians and guide recruitment of technical staff.
- Assist PI with counseling, teaching, training, for annual reviews of technical staff performance.
- Oversees request through Material Transfer Agreements and coordinates them with the Office for Research Technology Ventures. Coordinated intellectual property paperwork, confidentiality agreements, disclosures assignments with the office of general council.
- Assist PI in monitoring, enabling and facilitate collaborations with other programs
- Active technical and intellectual involvement in various research projects
- Manages administrative support for the lab.
- Provide advanced communications support to PI which includes screening calls and email and determining appropriate response to inquiries.
- Maintain the PI's calendar which entails scheduling meetings, booking travel and working with PI to minimize scheduling conflicts.
- Develop and maintain a centralized, public lab calendar to include: pre- and post-award grant deadlines, travel, vacation of personnel, protocol deadlines, lab meetings and various lab related assignments.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for prospective lab candidates
- Maintains lab website
- Assist PI with submission of research grants
- Works closely with department finance staff
POSITION SUMMARY: The manager will be responsible for managing the day-to-day lab operations of the Wucherpfennig lab in the Department of Cancer Immunology & Virology. http://t-cells-treating-cancer.dana-farber.org/environment.html
He/she will provide knowledgeable and skilled advisory and administrative support to the Prinicpal Investigator and supervision of technical staff to manage and maintain good laboratory practice. He/she must utilize broad management, organizational, fiscal and technical skills, and be able to communicate effectively with staff, faculty, students and DFCI / CIV stakeholders.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor degree, with a major in science; prior lab experience, preferably in biology and a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in management of a research laboratory in the field of biological sciences
- The ability to organize and manage a large and busy lab
- Familiarity with cancer research laboratory operations including equipment maintenance, safety, compliance and record keeping
- Strong writing skills
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to problem solve, make decisions, and set priorities.
- Must be a flexible, highly collaborative team member.
- Excellent assessment skills to address problems.
- Ability to listen and analyze information
- Strong interpersonal skills with sensitivity regarding confidential issues.
- Strong MS Office, specifically with Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Adobe; ability to learn and use Endnote
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to multitask.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Prior experience in a biological research laboratory is essential.
- Exceptional people management and organization skills, with demonstrated ability to multi-task to enable many concurrent projects in a complex, fast paced environment.
- Excellent quantitative, analytic, and problem solving skills to evaluate all aspects of a problem opportunity and make or facilitate appropriate and timely decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability and willingness to work closely with other colleagues as a team; experience and comfort in working with individuals with diverse backgrounds and differing viewpoints; openness to new ideas.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.