Intern / Co-Op Student, Automation Engineering
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Position type: Temporary; Part-Time; 16 hrs/wk; 6 month assignment with option to extend
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to alter the tumor microenvironment to enhance tumor cell killing. Our company has a growing portfolio of product candidates.
We currently have three protein therapeutics in clinical trials:
- Cabiralizumab (FPA008) –in pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS) and in multiple cancers
- FPA144 – in FGFR2b over-expressing gastric cancer
- FP-1039 – an FGF ligand trap in mesothelioma
On the strength of our unique discovery platform and capabilities, we have entered into strategic collaborations with leading global pharmaceutical companies. We currently have three active research collaborations with Bristol-Myers Squibb, UCB Pharma, S.A. and GlaxoSmithKline.
FivePrime is committed to innovation and outstanding science, values that are reflected in our people and our products. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
We currently have an internship/ Co-op opportunity in the Automation Engineering group at Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. The student participating in this program will gain valuable experience working in a state-of-the-art robotics lab that is focused on developing innovative protein and antibody drugs. In addition, gain experience in working with automation equipment such as articulated robots, automated liquid handlers, plate washers, plate readers, imagers, plate hotels, etc., as well as microfluidics and lab-on-a chip technology. This is a great opportunity to develop skills to write scripts and programs to enable automation of biological and bio-chemical assays; partnering with scientists and engineers to solve real-world science and technology problems. The position will assist engineers at FivePrime in designing, developing and deploying a high throughput microfluidic platform to automate biological and bio-chemical experiments. This position reports to Automation Engineer III.
Assist with tasks to develop a microfluidic platform:
- Design and test protocols involving biological and bio-chemical experiments in a microfluidic format.
- Assist in design and development of new microfluidic system components. This may include optics, feedback control, chip fabrication, mask design, and configuring detection modules.
- Assist in documenting microfluidic system and protocols.
- Junior or senior in an engineering or science discipline with interests in high throughput experimentation, automation, robotics, lab-on-a-chip technologies and their application to drug discovery.
Please submit your resume (including coursework and other activities):