If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As an Institutional Sales Manager in Dallas/Houston, TX, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As members of the hospital sales team, individuals in this position are responsible for the promotion of Astra Zeneca Specialty Care products and achievement of assigned sales goals for both the region and specific assigned institutions/hospitals. The focus of the ISM will be a 50/50 split between clinical selling and thought leader engagement at identified top institutions.The ISM sales responsibilities will be focused primarily on Synagis.
These products and sales weights will change, season to season, based on the Company's priorities. The ISM will coordinate communication between all relevant cross-functional counterparts in relation to their assigned accounts. The ISM will be in a position to help develop national and regional strategic focus due to their contact with institutional thought leaders. This will require a unique blend of skills including excellent business acumen, clinical expertise, managerial courage, organizational agility, and excellent communication skills. The ISM will be expected to be the primary point of contact with any relevant promotion of Astra Zeneca for their respective selling division (Infectious Disease) within hospitals, teaching institutions and with area opinion leaders.
Institutional Sales Manager (ISM) will be responsible for promoting and selling to the core business accounts. The specific duties assigned to this position will be:
- Attaining the assigned sales objectives and goals. The ISM will be expected to help the region obtain its regional sales goal and will have responsibility to achieve sales targets in all assigned institutions/hospitals. The ISM will also be responsible for managing assigned budgets.
- Thought leader development. Build relationships with key thought leaders to improve regional views on Astra Zeneca Specialty Care Infectious Disease products. Raise awareness of Synagis in residency programs though clinical in services/presentations.
- Developing and executing institutional, Areas Opinion Leaders, and regional business plans.
- Individuals are responsible for targeting, prioritizing and clinically selling to a variety of customers based on approved target lists. These may include, Neonatologists, Pediatric Pulmonologists, Pediatric Cardiologists, Pediatric Gastroenterologists, Pediatric/Adult Infectious Disease, Pediatrics, Pediatric residents, Discharge Planners, Clinical Pharmacists, NNPs, NICU Nurses, PICU Nurses and hospital based Epidemiologists. An effective business planning process should be developed and executed with all cross-functional team members, (i.e: individual account sales overview, targeted personnel, clinical use guidelines/protocols, external market factors/conditions, key opportunities, sales objectives, promotional implementation plan and budget allocation).
- Developing and/or effectively executing account plans. Based on national and region strategy, ISMs will be expected to develop and execute business plans that may be account specific or as part of the overall regional/national strategy. Effective business planning will include: (1) determining priority and investment level for each account; (2) defining account objectives and developing action plans; (3) identifying/targeting and promoting to key individuals; (4) effectively executing business plans and appropriately meeting specific customer needs; and (5) involving/communicating with the proper member(s) of the regional team to accomplish objectives.
- Developing and maintaining customer relationships. This includes identifying and utilizing internal resources to meet customer needs and developing key customers as an Astra Zeneca Specialty advocate, including development of regional thought leaders.
- Assisting in the development of long term strategies that support Astra Zeneca Specialty Care and the nation's objectives. By developing and maintaining strategic relationships with key teaching institutions, as well as thought leaders, the ISM will be in a position to understand medical trends and developments. This should allow the ISM to advise and help develop long term Astra Zeneca Specialty Care and regional strategies.
- Maintaining effective, on-going communication within the Regional Business. Individuals in this position are expected to initiate and maintain an effective, two-way communication with the ABM, Biotech Sales Specialists, Managed Markets Personnel, Field Reimbursement, and other cross functional counterparts as appropriate. Serve as a regional leader and participate in all key state initiatives and cross-functional meetings as appropriate. Effective and timely use of all available communication channels and tools (voice mail, e-mail, and telephone) is expected.
- Actively participating with other regional business unit members in customer related and internal activities. Activities may include, but are not limited to: (1) developing and executing action plans to meet customer needs and the business objectives of Astra Zeneca Specialty Care and the region; (2) evaluating and refining promotional and selling strategies; (3) identifying strengths/weaknesses of available systems and support; (4) constantly and consistently identifying or refining own development needs and opportunities; and (5) initiate conflict resolution using negotiation skills to explore positions, alternatives, and solutions to reach outcomes that gain support and acceptance of all parties.
- Tracking market intelligence that may positively or adversely affect marketing practices and business. This includes constantly monitoring the competitive environment (e.g., new product entrants) and/or any healthcare policy changes/initiatives, which may impact market position.
- Maintaining specific account records that pertain to interests. ISMs are expected to develop, maintain, and consistently update a comprehensive customer database as specified. Additionally, complete reports and maintain records as per Astra Zeneca Specialty Care's policies.
- Assist in training and development of business unit personnel.
- Responsible for maintaining a high degree of honesty, integrity, diplomacy, and ethical behavior within the business unit. Serve as a role model to other members of the business unit team.
- Education Requirements:
- A four-year college degree, preferably in a scientific/medical or business discipline or relevant experience is required.
- Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of 5 years proven, successful hospital sales experience in the Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology, or Medical Products industry and/or 3 years of sales success at Astra Zeneca Specialty with endorsements from appropriate members of Astra Zeneca Specialty's sales management team is required.
- Judgment Requirements:
- This position requires substantial individual judgment given the frequency and significance of interactions with customers, and the seriousness associated with indications for products. The ISM's are expected to have the degree of judgment and diplomacy necessary to maintain the Regional Business Unit interpersonal relationships functioning in a positive manner. The ISM is to know, understand, and comply with all corporate policies (i.e., US Policy Handbook) and relevant Federal and State laws, rules and regulations.
- Decision-making Requirements:
- In this position, ISM's are expected to make broad day-to-day decisions and must, therefore, be able to make decisions that reflect and support the overall strategies of the regional business unit and Company. Quality decisions, which may be made in the presence of customers, need to be based on appropriate training and personal judgment. Other key decision activities may include, but are not limited to: (1) establishing territory objectives and strategy; (2) prioritizing, targeting and selling to specific customers; (3) managing the regional business unit budget; and (4) coordinating appropriate Astra Zeneca Specialty Care and Corporate Partner personnel to accomplish objectives.
- Initiative Requirements:
- ISM's are expected to function effectively without close supervision; therefore, it is imperative that each possess strong decision-making abilities, the capacity to quickly and effectively respond to questions and unusual situations, have a strong work ethic and be goal-oriented. ISM's should have a high degree of self-discipline and personal drive in order to focus on activities and communications that will support achievement of stated national goals while continuing to build individual capabilities. ISM's must be self-motivated to seek out, recognize, and act upon local market opportunities central to the short-term and long-term success of the company.
- Communication and Teamwork Requirements:
- Inside - Significant interaction with all personnel at the regional business unit level is required, including participation in regional and account team meetings (e.g., other ISM's, Biotech Sales Specialists, Managed Markets personnel, Government Affairs Managers, Reimbursement Specialists, and Field MDs as per policy). The ISM is instrumental in coordinating the communication among individuals within the Regional Business Unit. Internal communication also includes professional interactions with home office personnel.
- Outside -Professional and diplomatic interaction with many levels of health and business professionals will be required.
- Background in hospital sales, personnel management, managed care or marketing is highly desirable
- Work experience in the healthcare industry, especially the hospital setting, is strongly preferred
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.