Org Marketing Statement
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues are working together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Each position at Pfizer touches and contributes to the success of our business and our world. That's why, as one of the global leaders in the biopharmaceutical industry, Pfizer is committed to seeking out inspired new talent who share our core values and mission of making the world a healthier place.
*Vaccine Research seeks to discover novel vaccines (prophylactic and therapeutic) for the prevention and treatment of significant human diseases (infectious diseases, oncology, CNS and Allergy and Respiratory) using a variety of vaccine technology platforms combined with immunomodulatory agents. Individuals with experience of in vivo experimentation are required to join the expanding Vaccine Immunotherapeutics (VITx) group in La Jolla, California. The role is laboratory based. The candidate will have deep knowledge and practical experience of the application of in vivo techniques. They will be able to independently and proactively apply this knowledge to the design and execution of experimental work, to enable progression of vaccine discovery projects. The candidate will be required to work independently and, as a member of a team. They should be able to handle large scale in vivo screening experiments. The candidate will be accountable for the critical appraisal of their results and may be required to present them for review at manager and protect team meetings.
Laboratory and related work (80-90 % of time):
* Experimental design - will help design and fine tune in vivo experiments following discussion with supervisor and literature review. Will then independently (or as part of a team) execute work following the plan.
* Will analyze, interpret, record and communicate experimental data.
* Will gain skills and experience to be fully conversant with the operation and validation of all items of equipment or IT needed for experimentation, data analysis, storage and data entry.
* Understand and improve the in vivo model in use, and its relevance to the project.
Documentation and Communication:
* Writing standard operating procedures, study reports and protocols
* Write up laboratory notebooks regularly in compliance with policy documents
* Presentation to immunopharmacology and project teams
* Regular 1:1 communication with supervisor and team colleagues
Safe working and regulatory compliance:
* Work safely themselves. Including work (potentially) with pathogenic microorganisms, hazardous materials or radioactive substances
* Completion of risk assessments, compliance with Pfizer procedures
* Adherence to risk assessments
* Will recognize risks (own and others), within own area of expertise. Intervene or take action, where appropriate
* Understand ethical considerations associated with using animals in biomedical research
Training & Education Minimum Requirements:
* Bachelor of Science in life sciences
* Minimum of 5 years in vivo experimentation experience in industrial setting
* Substantial experience of hands-on in vivo work (full range of procedures)
* Setting up / running animal models of disease
* Overall or shared responsibility for management of in vivo work-streams within research project(s)
* Excellent pre-planning, organizational and trouble shooting skills
* Ability to communicate effectively, including with external stakeholders, vendors, suppliers etc
* Blood processing
* Cell purification and characterization
* Oncology disease model expertise
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.