About Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research's Respiratory Disease Area:
The Respiratory Disease Area is dedicated to discovering new therapies for diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. The group’s primary responsibilities are the discovery and validation of new targets, performing in vitro and in vivo experiments that support the selection of clinical candidates and the coordination of preclinical activities to ensure a smooth progression of candidates through the development process.
About the position:
The successful candidate will provide in vitro support to the respiratory portfolio with particular emphasis on cystic fibrosis drug discovery. Specifically, the candidate will:
* Deliver high quality data from in vitro models of airway epithelial cell function, with a focus on ion transport mechanisms
* Design, execution and analysis of in vitro assays
* Contribute to RDAs overall in vitro assay capabilities
* Interface with internal (RD) and where applicable external (NIBR) in vitro experts
* Work independently, or as part of a team to meet core objectives aligned with agreed target dates and priorities.
* Effective use of molecular, in vitro and ex vivo techniques as required
* BS or MS in the Life Sciences
* 2+ years’ work experience in an academic or industrial drug discovery environment, particularly in the delivery of in vitro data to support project teams and goals
* The application of in vitro and ex vivo techniques to the drug discovery process
* Experience of ion transport techniques such as short circuit / equivalent current methods would be an advantage
* Experience in cell based assay design, development and validation
* A background in in vitro assays, ideally applicable to area of respiratory diseases
* Demonstrated competence in a range of in vitro assay measurement techniques (ELISA, FACs, HCS, fluorescence) and molecular biology skills (PCR, Taqman, knock down and over-expression approaches)
* Ability to work flexibly and independently and where required learn and utilise new techniques as required by the role ( ex vivo & in vitro)
* Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to prepare internal reports and present to project teams/scientific colleagues
* Effective when working independently or as part of a larger team
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
See Job Description