In-Market Technical Support Leader, Parenteral Combination Products, PT&D-West Chester, OH
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a In-Market Technical Support Leader, Parenteral Combination Products, PT&D in West Chester, OH you’ll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. Operations at AstraZeneca is a truly world-class business unit. It offers one of the most exciting, fast paced, challenging and rewarding work environments in the world of operations, supply chain and manufacturing.
Description: Impact on business results
The role holder is responsible for leading the global In-Market Technical Support Group to parenteral combination products. The role sits within the global Product Development organisation that is part of Pharmaceutical Technology & Development.
The group is responsible for the technical support to all established parenteral combination products, within the AZ commercial supply organisation. The group has accountability for proactive and focussed technical support for all small molecule, parenteral products manufactured within the AZ network or externally at a CMO. Responsibilities include:
- Second line technical expertise to aid the resolution of manufacturing/supply issues.
- The provision of product technical expertise to Operations Supply to drive continuous improvement and value for AZ.
- Lead complex technical improvement or change activities.
- Secure product knowledge throughout the lifecycle.
- Oversight of the drug product control strategy throughout the lifecycle.
- Monitor product performance via appropriate dash-boards/CPV assessments.
- Develop and manage a prioritised portfolio of project activities, with appropriate demand and supply oversight.
- Identify and deliver continuous improvement initiatives for the established products.
- Responsible for the technical support during the transfer of established products within sites and to external manufacturing partners.
- The provision of technical support for the sourcing and asset strategy programme at sites.
- Proactive engagement with key stakeholders to ensure world class customer relations are maintained. For example regional quality & supply VPs, Site GMs etc.
- Work in collaboration with global Product Development and the Manufacturing Science & Technology organisation to ensure effective utilisation of global skills, expertise and capability.
All these activities will have a significant impact on the overall success of Operations as well as ensuring the commercial viability of current products. The activities of the group help to ensure availability of all AstraZeneca parenteral combination products to the commercial organisation. The role, therefore, has a significant impact on both financial and reputational aspects of the business.
People Management, Problem Solving, Communication
The role holder will
- Provide leadership to the global group ensuring effective collaboration between the technical support group and the AZ sites/CMOs.
- Develop and build a global, cross-functional multiskilled team comprising of expertise from a number of scientific disciplines including, pharmaceutics, devices, chemistry, engineering, analytical.
- Develop and implement a technical support model with outstanding customer service for all AZ manufacturing sites and external manufacturing partners that aligns to the vision of Operations 2020, particularly Science and Technology excellence and Manufacturing Excellence.
- Build effective networks across the global Operations organisation.
- Create an effective partnership, manage expectations and resolve issues positively and in the best interest of AZ.
- Be a direct people manager for individuals.
- Ensure that delivery of SHE and cGMP compliance across the group, ensuring that all work is carried out in compliance with AstraZeneca and external regulatory policies and standards.
- Be responsible for recruiting, training and developing people to provide a group capable of meeting present and future needs.
- Develop solutions to a diverse range of problems requiring complex judgements based on highly developed levels of conceptual thought, strategic vision and analysis.
- Create and sustain a high quality group, which aims to continuously improve in competence, scientific excellence and innovation.
- Ensure the appropriate technical direction of work on established products and major brands, and lead and review approaches to technical problem solving within the group.
- Operate at the highest level of risk management.
- Be an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills in order to collaborate effectively with stakeholders globally.
- Ensure sufficiently trained resources with adequate technical knowledge for execution of technical support and on-going professional development to maintain proficiency.
- Ensure continuing suitability and effectiveness of the quality management system, product quality and GMP compliance through participation in management reviews and through advocating continual improvement.
Minimum Requirements –Education and Experience
Functional & Business knowledge
Experience, Functional Knowledge, Business Knowledge, Education, Specialist Skills
- Have an excellent understanding of the overall drug development and commercialization process from development, launch and through life cycle management
- Likely to be educated to BSc or PhD level in an appropriate discipline and have professional credibility within the business and industry.
- Have in depth understanding of the disciplines relevant to parenteral combination products, such as, Analytical Science, Chemical Science, Formulation Science, Physical Science, Device Development and Microbiology.
- Have extensive experience of leading and managing teams of people and complex, large scale projects and financial budgetary management.
- Have a thorough understanding of principles, applications and management of SHE and cGMP.
- Experience in Operations and/or R&D with a track record of successful leadership and delivery within a matrix organization.
- Experience in, or exposure to, multiple disciplines in CMC and related functions (e.g. R&D and Contract Manufacturers).
- Evidence of excellent communication skills and build excellent relationships with customers.
Skills and Capabilities
- Operates confidently as a part of a global organisation, with an integrating mindset, irrespective of function, geographical and company background to help to deliver an organisation prepared for future challenges and change.
- Demonstrates a high level of understanding of change management.
Next Steps – Apply today!
- Excellent team working and networking skills and ability to engage relevant AstraZeneca staff and senior management in new initiatives. Understand interrelationships between groups and an ability to influence across geographical and functional boundaries.
- Ability to coach direct reports for enhanced individual and team performance and development.
- Capable of making effective decisions, acts courageously and communicates with conviction and inspiration at all levels. Demands excellence (sets high bar) and delivers.
- An excellent communicator with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise both internally and externally.
- Able to demonstrate the drive and energy to establish the role and make a difference.
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal credibility.
- Take a Strategic perspective, and is able to plan and set the right objectives to deliver results over the medium to long term.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.