This position will play a key role in the advancement of programs through discovery to clinic by leading the Protein Sciences group in the identification, assessment and development of therapeutic antibody candidates. Functional responsibilities include protein engineering, design and characterization optimization of therapeutic antibodies, libraries, antigens, and reagents, design of biochemical screening assays, and computational biology and bioinformatics analysis. Lead internal and partnered projects including program review, assessment of IP and competitive landscape, and coordination of activities across all functional areas. Participate as a member of the senior research team involved in regular program review and help maintain high standards of scientific excellence.
• Lead the Protein Sciences group:
o Provide all aspects of protein sciences support (see below) to ensure success of matrixed project teams.
o Partner with Development and Manufacturing to ensure seamless transition and continued support, when necessary, of therapeutic candidates. Coordinate experiments with colleagues to ensure rapid achievement of objectives and overall goals.
o Ensure data generated is well-controlled and interpreted appropriately. Communicate findings, conclusions and potential strageties openly and effectively to colleagues and senior management.
o Implementation of new methods, screening, and protocols.
o Direct process improvements for the group.
o Manage budget and equipment acquisition.
o Provide performance feedback, coaching, career development and mentoring to departmental staff to ensure their success.
• Responsibilities of Protein Sciences group:
o Design and generate therapeutic antibodies, antigens, secondary reagents and antibody libraries.
o Develop and implement methods for purification and deep biochemical and biophysical characterization of therapeutic candidates and key reagents, and develop methods for identifying candidate antibodies with potential to be formulated at high concentration.
o Perform bioinformatics and computational biology to include data mining of SHM data and its translation to gene and template design, protein modeling, graphics and design, analysis of binding kinetics and biophysical interactions as it relates to FACS and assay design.
• Lead AnaptysBio projects with the goal of rapid identification of superior therapeutic candidates, to include:
o Conceive strategies for developing new drug concepts through advancement of candidates to clinical development.
o Lead project team meetings and coordinate activities for the project team with other research groups.
o Write project reports and lead program reviews
o Perform and communicate background research within the therapeutic/project area, including design goals, lead identification strategy, competitive analysis and IP.
• Write and review manuscripts and intellectual property documents.
• Participate in industry conferences and seminars with occasional travel required.
Education & Experience
• PhD biochemistry, bioengineering, biophysics or related field with post-doctoral experience specializing in protein science, molecular biology, immunology, molecular cell biology or related.
• 15+ years, post-doctoral, of relevant experience with a minimum of 8 years industry experience in biotech and/or pharma.
• Extensive background in protein chemistry, including protein structure and function, labeling and/or alternative chemical modification techniques, antibody generation and characterization, including humanization, affinity maturation and biophysical property optimization.
• Experience with screening technologies and their integration into the drug discovery and development process.
• Proven experience leading research programs aimed at identifying and optimizing candidate therapeutic proteins (preferably antibodies).
• Demonstrated experience managing a group of protein scientists involved in protein engineering, characterization of proteins and labeling technologies.
• Expertise in the production and analysis of recombinant proteins to therapeutic standards, including application of state of the art bioanalytical methods for quality assessment.
• Expertise in all aspects of antibody engineering, including humanization, sequence and affinity optimization, and design of multispecific antibodies.
• Solid background in scientific leadership with strong interpersonal and mentoring skills. Excellent collaborative skills for working on cross-functional multi-disciplinary teams.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills, with high attention to detail. Capacity to prioritize assignments and work effectively under deadlines.
• Strong communication skills, and ability to report and present experimental results and analysis to colleagues and senior management in a clear and concise manner.