Alkermes plc is a fully integrated, global biopharmaceutical company developing innovative medicines for the treatment of central nervous system (CNS) diseases. The company has a diversified commercial product portfolio and a substantial clinical pipeline of product candidates for chronic diseases that include schizophrenia, depression, addiction and multiple sclerosis. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Alkermes plc has an R&D center in Waltham, Massachusetts; a research and manufacturing facility in Athlone, Ireland; and a manufacturing facility in Wilmington, Ohio. For more information, please visit Alkermes’ website at www.alkermes.com.
Background: The Alkermes Discovery organization is searching for an experienced chemistry leader with a passion for medicinal chemistry. We are currently growing our Discovery organization, including medicinal chemistry, to become a world class player in our field.
The successful candidate will be leading the buildup of a top notch medicinal chemistry function with the aim to invent highly novel, high quality drug molecules in our small-molecule drug discovery projects.
Key responsibilities include:
- Build and lead a highly functioning team of experienced and motivated chemists
- Formulate and execute on the medicinal chemistry strategy, including strategy for drug design and synthesis
- Collaboratively with other functions contribute to the rapid development of innovative, high quality drug candidates.
- Recruit, retain and develop people in the group towards a world class function
- Drive innovation, foster creativity and scientific excellence within and outside of the chemistry organization
- Contribute to the overall development of the Discovery organization
- Ensure high standards for safety, health, environment and governance compliance
- PhD, or equivalent, in chemistry with +15 years industry experience in medicinal chemistry, delivering highly quality drug candidates.
- Significant experience in a drug discovery environment, including key membership in discovery projects
- Strong abilities in medicinal chemistry design and synthesis
- Track record in leading medium sized groups and evidence of ability to shape groups towards the business needs
- Track record in managing external CRO’s
- Experience in working closely and collaboratively with computational chemistry, DMPK, pharmacology and safety functions
- Excellent communication skills, energetic and self-motivated
Personal Attributes Needed: Excellent interpersonal, leadership, communication, and time-management skills are essential
Alkermes, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.