BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for San Diego's Scientific community. We are currently looking for a Group Leader, HTS to work for a leading San Diego biotechnology company.
The Group Leader, HTS will perform and oversee daily production operations of high-throughput screening at the well-plate scale by managing a team of research associates performing experiments across multiple programs using a variety of organisms and model systems. The group processes tens of thousands of strains per month.
In addition to work in Operations, the Group Leader will identify and implement improvements and train staff; as well as partner with support scientists and engineers to monitor and improve success rates, quality of results, equipment performance, and data capture methods.
- Direct management of HTS Operations teams performing routine and ad hoc plate-scale fermentation work for multiple programs in a variety of organisms.
- Manage and execute parallel workflows that have been automated to varying degrees using custom hardware and software tools.
- Prepare biological samples and chemical standards for analysis.
- Load and unload shakers and automation decks.
- Prepare strains and samples for retention and future use.
- Work with data capture systems to store data and metadata about the experiments.
- Use data analysis tools to explain process variation to identify microbes with improved performance.
- Identify possible opportunities to improve efficiency and success rates.
- Revise training materials and train HTS Operations staff.
- Participate in the transfer of new HTS processes into Operations
- Work as an effective team member alongside colleagues from Genome Engineering, Fermentation, - Analytical Chemistry, Software Engineering, Data Science, Automation, and Facilities.
- Must have a background in biology, chemical engineering, or other quantitative disciplines (BS/BA preferred) and with 5-10+ years of experience, including 2 years of experience leading teams.
- The ideal candidate will be thoughtful, meticulous, well-organized, energetic, collaborative, and fully engaged in the execution and improvement of workflows.
Qualified candidates have achieved some or all of the following:
- Managed teams screening large libraries in high throughput, yielding high-quality data. This may be inside or outside the field of industrial biotechnology.
- Developed or protocols or validated laboratory automation for new uses.
- Used lab automation to enable complicated or high-throughput protocols.
- Managed multiple ongoing multi-day workflows, including scheduling instrumentation, preparing reagents and materials.
- Written or followed complicated SOPs.
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and analytical software such as JMP, Spotfire, or Tableau, and manufacturing principles such as Lean, 5S, GLP/GMP.
- Comfortable using Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with microbes and the analytical chemistry techniques used to evaluate experiments at this scale.