At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Global MSL Excellence Director, Oncology in Gaithersburg, MD or Cambridge, UK, you’ll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
Global Medical Affairs (GMA) ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on AZ therapies and support our internal stakeholders with medical insight and expertise. GMA provides medical leadership with market participation and connectivity while also impacting the life cycle planning and execution of all our products. Global Medical Affairs aims to lead AstraZeneca in achieving scientific leadership, being a great place to work, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for future AZ medical network leaders to have five (5) core capabilities:
* A track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare delivery
* Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
* Strong communication skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
* Strong Financial/Budget Management and Project Management skills
* Strong business acumen
The Global MSL Excellence Director for Oncology is accountable for ensuring the development, delivery and measurement of prioritized MSL Excellence initiatives to strengthen MSL capabilities across AZ regions and affiliate organizations for the Oncology Therapeutic Area. The incumbent will work in collaboration with the Head of Global MSL Excellence, the Global Medical Excellence team, Global Medical Affairs Leaders and Regional Medical Leaders to provide strategic direction and high-level project management to implement programs that build Oncology-specific MSL and MSL Leader capabilities and support the alignment of MSL teams globally.
* Oversee the strategy for MSLs, understand the broader picture in the therapy area and be able to evaluate the company strategy and priorities in different disease areas
* Member of the Oncology Global Medical Affairs Team(s)
* Keep both the Head of Global MSL Excellence and Head of Global Medical Excellence up-to-date about company strategy, plans and priorities for Oncology
* Provide strategic project management for key MSL Excellence initiatives
* Support the Head of Global MSL Excellence in defining and executing the long term strategy and plan for specific capability development
* Act as the MSL subject matter expert to all AZ global initiatives where Oncology MSLs are implicated. Provide insight, guidance, influence and expertise that ensures global vision for MSL role is well understood
* Conduct ad-hoc analyses on projects and initiatives to proactively escalate issues, propose solutions and modify strategies
* Standardize MSL programs in support of Oncology to reflect the nuances of the TA
* Ensure the capabilities required to successfully execute the strategy and plan detailed in the iMAP are incorporated within the MSL training curriculum
* Partner with Medical Academy Director and Medical Academy Leaders to develop and launch Oncology MSL training programs
* Provide input to the MSL Guide and MSL Manager Guide
Global/Regional Implementation and Coordination
* Partner with the Head of Global MSL Excellence, Global Regional Medical Excellence leaders and key MC Medical MSL leaders to identify opportunities for collaboration with Global Medical Excellence
* Partner with Head of Global MSL Excellence to prioritize opportunities for collaboration with Regional Medical
* Provide insights to the Global Medical Affairs Leader(s) for Oncology regarding the diverse needs of the markets
* Contribute to the Global MSL Community enabling real-time sharing of Best Practices, Lessons Learned and other relevant MSL information
* Support the effective and efficient implementation of Global MSL Excellence initiatives that result in valued outcomes and maximum market impact
* Ensure Oncology MSL on-boarding and development strategies are in place in regions/countries to build skills and drive knowledge development for MSL leaders, in line with global expectations
* Set the standards for MSL Oncology Capabilities
* Analyze knowledge/skill gaps at the country level in MSL as it relates to Oncology and MSL Capabilities
* Strengthen MC planning capabilities and set expectations for the MSL’s role during the pre and peri-launch phase
* Build capabilities of MSL leaders to develop/sustain a climate that allows for success and increased business performance
* Develop case scenarios and other best practices to ensure appropriate application of compliance and business guidance
* Identify and utilize appropriate learning technologies to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of training
* Anticipate leadership development needs through demonstrated broad business perspective and effective needs analysis
* Measure program effectiveness and perform quality assurance on all development programs
* Operate in the role of Program Business Lead for key Global initiatives and provide business owners and senior level leaders with regular updates in order to inform and guide project/program success
* Support regions in identifying resources (materials, budgets, suppliers, facilities, internal personnel and external providers) for program development and implementation
* Assist regions in leveraging best practices and continued advancement in MSL execution and monitoring
Metrics and Measurement
* Ensure the MSL Excellence deliverables are being assessed from an efficiency and effectiveness perspective
* In cooperation with AZ markets/regions provide direction and leadership to surveys and related market analyses that assess the value and performance of MSL teams.
* Collaborate with Global, Regional and local Medical Leadership to measure MSL program effectiveness and maximize the value of the MSLs for AZ
*Advanced degree in scientific discipline (e.g., PhD, PharmD, MD), preferably in Oncology
* Experience (>5 years) in an MSL organization
* 3 or more years of leadership experience in medical affairs, preferably an MSL organization
* Experience in developing MSL strategic plans for external engagement
* Experience in the following are also considered assets: implementation of a compliance and auditing program specific to MSL; MSL performance management and KPIs; design of programs that focus on managing, leading and coaching high performing individuals and teams
*Previous MSL management experience
* Global Experience
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.