The Global Logistics Planner is responsible for managing the commercial and clinical order / demand process from forecast through to delivery including Drug Substance, Drug Product, and Finished Goods. This position supports the planning and distribution of BioMarin Pharmaceutical products to and from third party manufacturing, packaging, and distribution facilities globally. In executing these shipments, the Global Logistics Planner will be involved in export/import compliance, distribution center, and transportation management activities. The incumbent will serve as a liaison between various internal and external partners to ensure the timely production and delivery of orders and lead all Logistics activities. The position involves evaluating inventory availability and balancing against customer requirements. Additionally, the Global Logistics Planner will participate in the process analysis and improvement efforts for the Supply Chain/Logistics team.
Note that individual responsibilities may include all or part of responsibilities defined below depending on individual experience and abilities, and may change to best support on‑going business needs.
- In conjunction with internal partners, plan and execute expedient and efficient processing of shipping requests and customer demands for investigational, clinical, and commercial drug product.
- Develop standardized distribution practices and protocols, and related requirements for 3PL partners, carriers, and Contract Manufacturing sites.
- Coordinate the efficient and on-time movement of temperature controlled freight to meet internal / external requirements through carrier management, transport route, and SOP development.
- Responsible for managing carrier SOPs and 3PL work instructions and autonomously manage partner performance.
- Manage customer demands in conjunction with Sales Operations and plan inventory levels to ensure 100% order fulfillment to customer.
- Plan and execute shipping and delivery between contract manufacturing operations, packaging sites, and customers. This will require knowledge of Good Distribution Practices (GDP) and Global Trade Compliance regulations.
- Establish and maintain transparent transport planning schedule with proactive tracking of deliveries
- Manage transport temperature monitoring data collection and deviation management
- Recommend and implement corrective actions for problems encountered in Logistics Operations including inventory management, shipping, cold chain distribution, and Logistics billing.
- Working with Global Trade Compliance, maintain appropriate documentation to support accurate reporting to government customs agencies
- Act as back up for Global Trade Compliance Manager.
- Act as Oracle Order-to-Cash (OTC) system super user for Supply Chain Logistics
- Proper management of logistics for drug product and intermediates is essential for reducing supply chain risk and maintaining cost effective supply chain management. Work is critical to minimizing product loss due to the extreme temperature sensitivity of BioMarin products. Position is responsible for avoiding product losses where the value of a shipment can be ~ $2M.
- Manage finished goods inventory in excess of $150M in value. Correct inventory management is critical to ensure that accurate cost information is captured from inventory shrinkage/damage/loss.
- Coordinate global logistics activities with spend in excess of $9M annually.
- Works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance to other support personnel.
- Individual contributor with global focus both internally and externally. Interacts with peers, Department Heads, and Country Divisional Heads. Maintains an external network in field of expertise. Demonstrates integrity and firm commitment to company beliefs and values.
- Bachelors degree in Business, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Operations Management, or similar required
- In lieu of above, other undergraduate degree plus continuing education in the logistics or extended supply chain management field required
- Minimum of 5 years direct international logistics experience including emerging markets
- Creation of commercial invoices, Shipper’s Letter of Instruction, and other international shipping required including an understanding of letters of credit
- Broad experience in working with freight forwarders, air/inland carriers, warehouse personnel and internal departments including QA, Regulatory, Technical Operations, etc.
- Understanding of US Department of Commerce/Bureau of Industry export regulations, OFAC/Treasury embargoes/license requirements, ECCN/HCCN commodity classifications, dangerous goods, export compliance
- Pharmaceutical/biotech distribution experience including current GDP/GMP/GCP regulations and Customs/FDA import procedures beneficial
- Cold Chain experience required.
- Training in ERP systems highly desirable, specifically Order-to-Cash
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel software required, proficiency with other MS Office tools including MS Project desired
- Must be flexible and be able to deal with changing priorities without losing sight of the overall business
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills working within an environment of constant change