Our client is seeking a Formulations Chemist to join their Research and Development Team. This position is accountable for the solution of complex problems and providing timely and accurate support to help resolve various issues and support existing and new product development issues and analysis. This position functions with limited supervision and is able to independently design experiments with limited to no review.
This individual will be responsible for rework utilization, cost savings, product analysis and complaint analysis for the OEM Coatings and Light Industrial customers in all regions of the Pacific Northwest and Canada. The technologies worked on include solvent based and water based for all types of substrate. Background in architectural coatings desired. They will also be responsible to make and test lab batches of these technologies.
• Utilizes and coordinates use of Lab Technician time
• Independently manages multiple projects
• Complete access to BatchMaster
• Develop new light industrial and OEM coatings formulations for a range of products including but not limited to – nitrocellulose lacquers, urethanes and epoxies, solvent based and high solids alkyds and latex.
• Support team in every project or problem that requires immediate solution
• Initiate the modification and updating of existing formulation and manufacturing
processes to ensure optimum manufacturing efficiency
• Provide customer service as required
• Provide assistance to Sales Department in the form of reports and demonstration packages for bench-marking and new development projects which can be used to procure new business.
• Provide assistance to Production Department by ensuring that all formulations issued are accurate and process friendly, coordinate with staff when manufacturing new formulations and assist in the correction of “off spec” batches.
• Coordinate with Suppliers to keep abreast of new raw materials and technology available to maintain the highest quality formulations and processes.
• Attend important training available to update the knowledge and competency in the paint industry.
• Ensure good time management to provide timely results when managing multiple priorities
• Maintain comprehensive records of all project work carried out and provide weekly progress reports.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Laboratory or Technical Manager
Knowledge, Technical Skills, and Position Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Science or Chemical Engineering; may consider degree in other discipline with coatings industry experience
• 5+ years’ experience formulating coatings
• Ability to work independently alongside staff of professional chemists and technicians, and work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to travel overnight throughout US and Canada
• Strictly adhere to safety and cleanliness guidelines within Research and Development Lab
• Formulation and/or application equipment experience
• Knowledge of solvent based, water based and lacquer coatings for metal, plastic and wood
• Experience in analytical testing and evaluations
• Technical, conceptual and product development economics skills
• Effective communication skills for results to technical and non-technical associates
• Ability to collaborate, coordinate, and manage projects with off-site company laboratories
• Willing to adapt and use trial and error to develop solutions
• Willing to do what it takes to get the job done and meet the needs of internal and external customers
• Takes initiative with the resources provided
• Knowledgeable but also coachable
• Good sense of humor, confident demeanor with a manageable ego. This is absolutely essential to job and location.