The Head of Market Access (MA) will be responsible for developing and leading overall MA strategy and execution for Rigel pharmaceutical products to ensure optimal MA conditions at launch and through the life-cycle of products. This individual will lead the MA and reimbursement elements of US commercialization for Rigel’s first product, fostamatinib, and will build the teams and support systems required from the ground-up. In addition, this individual will also have responsibility for MA and reimbursement of future additional indications, formulations and other products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and drive MA strategy for both commercial and government payers with the goal of shaping go-to market strategy and execution in an evolving external environment, taking into account both short-term needs and long-term scenarios, including value proposition(s).
• Create and maintain strategies and operational plans for specialty pharmacy distribution, call center/hub and reimbursement, patient assistance programs and support, related managed markets/payer strategies and tactics, as well as sales force training and corresponding pull-through methods.
• Responsible for the hiring, training, developing, and directing MA teams needed for managed market/payer engagement, trade/specialty pharmacy, reimbursement call center/hub, patient support programs/services, and field-based reimbursement.
• Partner effectively with sales, marketing and business operations teams to ensure strategic/operational alignment as well as development of data systems that will support optimal visibility of product demand and reimbursement metrics.
• Collaborate with development of innovative and value-based pricing strategies and anticipate potential pricing changes.
• Partner effectively with Rigel stakeholders (medical, clinical, commercial, etc.) to integrate MA insights into product development plans to ensure MA and product commercialization plans to maximize product potential.
• Develop compliant field-based reimbursement strategies and programs/initiatives, along with ability to educate healthcare providers about reimbursement landscape for Rigel products.
• Develop and maintain appropriate and compliant training materials to educate Rigel commercial teams for payer coverage, case management and payer landscape as well as resources to address such issues.
• Collaborate with patient advocacy and legal to represent Rigel in appropriately and compliantly working with 501c3 foundations
• Monitor the marketplace for MA issues, threats & opportunities, particularly for rare diseases, and manage/resource issue appropriately.
• Provide ongoing direction, oversight and management to the MA team, including expense budget and control, while monitoring on a regular basis to ensure activities are in accordance with corporate compliance policy/guidelines.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• A minimum of a B.A./B.S. required; MBA or other related advanced degree preferred
• A minimum of 15 years of combined MA/reimbursement including call center/hub, payer engagement, patient support management, and/or other relevant experience in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, such as sales, marketing, analytics, training, and operations.
• Experience with building and managing reimbursement hubs, patient assistance programs, co-pay assistance programs, as well as prior experience with independent 501c3 foundations.
• Previous experience in rare/orphan diseases, and/or hematology/oncology strongly desired, as well as with specialty pharmacy distribution.
• Experience and knowledge of CMS and Medicare Part D and Medicaid policies related to pharmaceuticals in various settings of care.
• Experience analyzing federal and state legislation and applicable regulatory government policy documents impacting coverage, reimbursement, government pricing, and government contracting issues related to rare/orphan disease and/or hematologic/oncologic pharmaceuticals.
• Demonstrated leadership focused on driving results, as well as successful track record of people management, experience leading teams, and strong interpersonal and communications skills.
• Partner effectively with regulatory, legal, compliance in all aspects of operations including product label management.
Position may require occasional travel (e.g., business meetings, conferences, key customer engagement, market research, vendor meetings, etc.) approx. 15-30%