About Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research's Respiratory Disease Area:
The Respiratory Disease Area, RD, is dedicated to discovering new therapies for diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. The group’s primary responsibilities are the discovery and validation of new targets, performing in vitro and in vivo experiments that support the selection of clinical candidates and the coordination of preclinical activities to ensure a smooth progression of candidates through the development process.
About the position:
The successful candidate will provide data from high-throughput, automated electrophysiology studies to support the respiratory discovery portfolio. Specifically, the candidate will:
* Delivery of high quality data from in vitro models to enable the progression of the RDA drug discovery portfolio
* Design, execution and analysis of in vitro assays with particular emphasis on high throughput, automated electrophysiology (Q-Patch, Quattro)
* Contribute to RDAs overall in vitro assay capabilities
* Interface with internal (RD) and where applicable external (NIBR) in vitro experts
* Work both independently and as part of a team to meet core objectives, aligned with agreed target dates and priorities.
* BS or MS in the Life Sciences (or equivalent)
* May have a PhD (or equivalent) in the field of electrophysiology
* 2+ years’ work experience in an academic or industrial drug discovery environment, particularly in the delivery of in vitro data to support project teams and goals
* The application of in vitro and ex vivo techniques to the drug discovery process
* Knowledge of ion channel function and hands on experience of measuring ion channel function activity via single cell measurements and high throughput approaches.
* 3+ years’ experience in electrophysiology
* Demonstrated competence in a range of cellular biology and molecular biology skills
* Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to prepare internal reports and present to project teams and colleagues
* Effective when working independently or as part of a larger team
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
See Job Description