At AstraZeneca every one of our employees makes a difference to patient lives every day. Each and every one of us believes that science has the ability to change lives and that to deliver this takes many people with many skill sets. When we deliver a life-changing medicine, that success comes from the combined efforts of all of our people. As the Director, Sustainability Communications, in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
At AstraZeneca, we are committed to operating in a sustainable way and in a way that recognizes the interconnection between business growth, the needs of society, and the limitations of our planet. This means delivering our business strategy so that access to our medicines is broadened, the environmental footprint of our products and processes is minimized, and ethics and transparency underpin everything we do.
In this role you will help build awareness, understanding and support for AstraZeneca’s sustainability strategy, ‘Securing our Future’, among employees and with key external audiences. You will drive the development, delivery and evaluation of an integrated sustainability communications strategy across and beyond the enterprise.
You will be the primary communications contact for the VP Global Sustainability and the EVP Sustainability and Chief Compliance Officer on sustainability related issues – with responsibility for ensuring the delivery of timely, relevant, consistent and compelling communications activities that achieve tangible outcomes for the business, including our sustainability reporting. You will do this by working in close collaboration with colleagues in Global Corporate Affairs, Investor Relations and Media Relations.
Cultural awareness and alignment with the AstraZeneca brand and external communications, including digital, media and investor relations, will be key. Alongside this, you will be expected to provide oversight and be accountable for relevant communication channels and alignment to global channels, including the Annual Report, corporate website and Nucleus - the AZ intranet.
You must be able to gain the trust and respect of internal stakeholders who will rely on your advice and guidance on communications matters. Excellent writing, project management, planning and multi-channel communications experience is essential, with a proven track record for delivering innovative and successful communications and with a sound pharma background desirable. The often sensitive and material content involved, means that you are required to demonstrate exemplary personal judgment, initiative and collaborative skills while working as part of a close-knit, high-performing and flexible team.
As the Director, Sustainability Communications, you will lead development, delivery and execution of key employee engagement and communications activities in line with the AstraZeneca Sustainability Strategy - including delivery of news, features and global campaigns. You’ll also be responsible for leading the planning, development and delivery of AZ’s stakeholder engagement plan for sustainability - working closely with colleagues in Corporate Affairs, Investor Relations and Media Relations. Your leadership skills will also include leading the development of sustainability resources, including our sustainability reporting and corporate resources, including Annual Report, external Speaker Kit, Data Pack, AGM presentation and updates to AZ.com. You’ll ensure that Sustainability messages and communications are clear, relevant, consistent, credible and timely for all identified audiences, while working in partnership with digital communications and HR teams to ensure sustainability messaging is integrated into recruitment and social media campaigns. You’ll also ensure alignment of Sustainability communications activities across AZ to maximize effectiveness and reach – drive innovation and transferring of good practice, in conjunction with advising, coaching and counseling internal stakeholders on sequencing for communication cascades, messaging, approach and style for planned communications. In addition, in this role, you will be accountable for measurement of effectiveness of communication approaches and identification and delivery of value-adding solutions to drive improvements.
- Degree-level or equivalent qualification in a subject related to Communications
- Significant (10 years +) experience of working in a fast paced global communications team or similar corporate communications environment.
- Sustainability related background/demonstrable interest in sustainability
- Extensive experience of employee communications and engagement campaigns.
- Track record of developing and delivering innovative and highly engaging internal communications to achieve tangible outcomes.
- Significant experience of managing different stakeholder relationships and confident at forging trusted relationships at a senior level.
- Experience of working in a highly regulated sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, backed by strong digital skills and comfort using and advising others in virtual communication technologies.
- Sound judgment combined with strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Excellent eye for detail, including visual and verbal brand identity.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities, stakeholder & colleague expectations and deliver consistently high quality outputs.
- Inquisitive mind set with well-developed critical/analytical abilities.
- Strategic thinker looking outside to bring new approaches to continually reinvigorate outputs and improve the effectiveness of approaches.
- High level of integrity, able to handle highly confidential information.
- Ability to instil confidence in others in a high-pressure situation.
- Proactive with high levels of self-motivation and personal accountability, bringing enthusiasm and energy to team, peer group and tasks.
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team.
- Resilient with a flexible approach.
- Able to develop and maintain networks across business and cultural boundaries.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.