Moderna is seeking a leader in formulations and delivery technologies, responsible for mRNA formulation design and ultimate translation of innovative formulations to clinical development. The individual in this role will lead development and characterization of formulations for in vivo delivery of mRNA based on a broad set of approaches and technologies. He/she will balance internal design effort with initiatives to identify, organize and engage in external collaborations based on current and emerging needs.
Broad knowledge of nucleic acid formulations, drug delivery, sterile products manufacturing and general pharmaceutical product development is required. The successful candidate must have proven ability to meet technology development and research goals on aggressive timelines while having a record of collaboration with quality units and regulatory stakeholders. Experience in translating pre-clinical formulation work, toxicology and clinical feedback into robust dosage form candidates for regulatory submission is essential, and knowledge of cGMP and other relevant regulation is required. This position has significant visibility and potential for growth in a dynamic organization.
• Lead design and development of nucleic acid formulations for delivery of mRNA.
• Organize characterization efforts for formulation efforts.
• Identify, manage and contribute to external formulation collaborations.
• Management of scientists internally and externally.
• Maintain accountability for project success and results delivery.
• Interact closely with internal R&D groups and partners in conducting efficacy and formulation evaluation/PK/Tox studies.
• Contribute to scientific and strategy discussions to advance and enhance platforms and product candidates – for Moderna and partners.
• Communicate research and development findings internally and externally.
Why join Moderna Therapeutics:
Moderna Therapeutics is pioneering messenger RNA therapeutics™, an entirely new in vivo drug modality that produces human proteins or antibodies inside patient cells, which are in turn active intracellularly or secreted. This breakthrough platform addresses currently undruggable targets and offers a superior alternative to existing drug modalities for a wide range of disease conditions. Moderna has developed a broad intellectual property estate including 200 patent applications with 10,000 claims ranging from novel nucleotide chemistries to specific drug compositions. The company plans to develop and commercialize its innovative mRNA drugs—initially for rare diseases and oncology—while partnering drug candidates in other therapeutic areas in order to rapidly deliver this innovation to patients.
Based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Moderna is privately held and was founded in 2010 by Flagship VentureLabs in association with leading scientists from Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Moderna recently signed a collaboration agreement with Astra Zeneca that provided a $240MM upfront payment (plus milestone payments).
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Visit http://modernatx.com/revolution to apply.
• Ph.D. with 10 years of industry experience in formulation design and development.
• Strong foundation in chemistry, materials science, or chemical engineering.
• A track record of achievement in products, patents and publications.
• Proven ability to define, manage and maintain scientific business relationships and contract research agreements.
• Exceptional written and oral communication.
• Experience formulating nucleic acids for in vivo delivery, and deep understanding of polyelectrolyte systems and polymer science.
• Awareness and understanding of adjacent areas such as the nano-technology space for drug delivery and biologics.
• A record of building and motivating teams that collaborate effectively; an ability to inspire, mentor and develop staff across the R&D organization.
• Commitment to excellence and innovation.
• Flexibility / adaptability to frequent change.
• Results orientation, ability to manage performance.
• Effective communication.
• Personal and shared accountability.
• Talent development.