Director, Sourcing & Procurement – Frederick, MD
MedImmune is the global biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. We work as partners in bringing life changing medicines to patients, sharing and benefiting from each other's strengths.
As the Director, Sourcing & Procurement you will be responsible for the sourcing activities that support commercial scale manufacturing at the Frederick Manufacturing Center (FMC) and clinical scale manufacturing at the Gaithersburg Pilot Facility (GPF).
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for direct and indirect sourcing of all raw materials, maintenance, repair and operating supplies (MRO) required executing the production plan at FMC. You will develop and secure a stable supply of raw materials to support production plan and lead risk mitigation efforts, monitor relevant markets and take appropriate actions to prevent supply disruptions.
Manage RFI, RFP, and auction activities, in collaboration with corporate Sourcing. Work directly with corporate Sourcing and Legal Affairs to establish contracts and trend products and services purchased in relation to supply/demand, technologies, economies and historical pricing. You will collaborate with all departments to minimize cost of goods manufactured (COGM) at the site as well as support site Logistics requirements. Responsible for driving raw material forecasting process as necessitated by supply agreements, drive maximum utilization of SAP and utilize SAP to manage supplier status, maintain source lists and generate supplier key performance indicators (KPI's) and work with Production Planning to ensure effective management of inventory.
Assist Production Planning with introduction and obsolescence of materials throughout product life cycles, including recovery of costs associated with obsolete inventory and understand and facilitate utilization of appropriate lot sizing rules to minimize costs associated with material procurement, receipt, release and handling. You will work with Logistics and Production Planning to ensure compliance with building code restrictions.
Function as liaison between Quality groups and suppliers, including distribution of supplier communications and coordination of supplier investigations and support supplier qualification and supplier initiated change (SIC) processes. You will assist in the creation and maintenance of material specifications; assist in resolution of raw material deviations related to supplier quality issues and responsible for working directly with corporate supplier relationship manager and category managers to effectively manage supplier relationships and performance. You will support corporate efforts to manage supplier performance across all global categories of spend; work directly with corporate Sourcing groups to enhance vendor performance through innovative approaches, including establishment of strategic vendor relationships. Ensure that all Sourcing activities are in compliance with company Procurement and Sourcing policies and practices, FDA, SEC and other regulatory agency standards.
- Bachelors of Science, business, engineering, or other relevant field required.
- Fifteen+ years' experience in biotech or related industry, minimum 10 years
- Fifteen+ years' sourcing experience
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Assignments are received in task-and objective-orientated terms. Provides direction to subordinates based on general policies and management guidelines. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Interprets and executes policies and procedures that typically affect subordinate organizational units. Recommends modifications to operating policies.
- Ensures that projects are completed on schedule and within budget. Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to complete assignments would normally result in serious delays to assigned projects resulting in considerable expenditure of additional time, human resources, and funds.
- Frequent contacts with internal personnel and outside customer representatives at various management levels concerning operations or scheduling or specific phases of projects or contracts. Conducts briefings and participates in technical meetings for internal representatives concerning specific operations.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Accomplishes results through lower-level subordinate supervisors or through experienced exempt employees who exercise significant latitude and independence in their assignments. Often heads a centralized functional activity.
- Relevant master's degree
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM)
- Functions as an advisor to a unit regarding tasks, projects, and operations. Becomes actively involved in daily operations only when required to meet schedules or to resolve complex problems.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.