If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Director, R&D Strategic Planning , Biopharmaceutical Development (BPD) in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As Director, R&D Strategic Planning BPD, you will be accountable for managing MedImmune's strategic planning cycle and leading key initiatives within MedImmune and across the broader AstraZeneca organization. In addition to the enterprise-wide responsibilities, the Planning Team staff is aligned to each of the core MedImmune Functions (Research, Biopharmaceutical Development, Clinical Biologics, and Biotech Operations). For this role, your primary client group is Biopharmaceutical Development (BPD). BPD is responsible for the development and manufacture of biologics in support of MedImmune clinical trials, spanning cell-line development, production processes, analytical methods, formulations, and drug delivery and devices. You will be a member of the Development Senior Leadership Team (DSLT), and will support the SVP, Biopharmaceutical Development and the DSLT as it relates to strategic planning, operational management & implementation of key functional initiatives.
You will partner with the GBPO Strategic Planning Team to manage MedImmune's planning cycle; lead engagement with BPD organization. Lead and/or support key cross-functional initiatives within MedImmune and across the broader AstraZeneca organization; lead cross-functional teams and direct staff in a matrixed environment. Partner with the DSLT to develop the BPD strategic agenda including priorities and goals for each year; facilitate interaction/linkage of objectives between BPD and MedImmune / AZ functions. Monitor and communicate progress against annual BPD scorecard objectives. Support DSLT and associated BPD Functions (e.g. Cell Culture, Purification, Manufacturing, Analytical, Formulation, Drug Device & Delivery, and Science & Collaborations) through problem solving, solution development, implementation and tracking. Perform internal and external benchmarking assessments and analysis. Coordinate and optimize DSLT business meetings; manage and set DSLT agendas, and ensure effective follow-through on actions.
- Advanced degree or equivalent work experience; MBA, PhD.
- Eight or more years of experience in life sciences management consulting or a fast-paced development setting, preferably biotechnology, with experience in business planning, operations and strategy.
- Broad business perspective and acumen, goal-oriented approach, process orientation and strategic focus
- Demonstrated ability to lead and coordinate multiple projects concurrently.
- Sophisticated demeanour, bearing and approach sufficient to position the incumbent for interaction with senior level executives in delivering effective presentations and providing information to influence major decisions.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and ability to develop strong relationships with senior leaders and other key stakeholders.
- Excellent management and matrix team leadership skills that include the ability to provide direction and lead multi-disciplinary teams on highly collaborative efforts resulting in successful implementation.
- Ability to partner with senior leaders to develop and implement a strategic vision.
- Willingness and proven ability to function in a hands-on capacity when necessary to achieve milestones, resolve issues and build an organization/function capable of driving toward measurable objectives.
- Proven ability to drive projects forward to a successful conclusion in a matrix organization.
- High level of maturity that includes judgment, discretion, self-motivation, and accountability.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that often involves a high degree of ambiguity.
- Strong analytical approach, keen organizational capability and solid time management skills.
- Experience within drug discovery and development, with an emphasis on biologics preferred; familiarity with product development, product launch and exposure to life cycle management.
- Subject matter knowledge in product development.
- Cross functional, multi-cultural, and global work experience preferred
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.