Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat complex and challenging diseases. We are the pioneer in the discovery and development of antisense drugs with more than 1300 patents.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our founding goals have changed little in over 27 years and our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
DIRECTOR, R&D INFORMATICS ARCHITECTURE
Ionis Pharmaceuticals is seeking a Sr. R&D Informatics Architect to lead the newly created R&D Informatics Architecture function and support critical and highly visible initiatives within Ionis R&D.
The position will create and execute the R&D Data Architecture strategy, and participate in critical projects such as a large Discovery Science Information System initiative, Clinical Trial Reporting Portal, R&D Project Management, Document and Quality Management Systems, Safety Reporting, and other system development and operational aspects within an R&D Informatics function. Incumbent will work with Ionis leaders in the development of an overall analytics strategy for R&D and Commercial systems. This position is a hands-on individual contributor that will not have direct reports initially.
• Creation and support of the Ionis R&D Information Architecture and Roadmap Process
• Support for the Research Information Systems Initiative that is underway this year. Act as liaison with outside consultants, integration of various data sources, testing of patches and new modules, releases or features, and evaluating and recommending courses of action.
• Close working relationship with various departments within Research and Development to support the Science we do at Ionis
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Reference Requisition #16-0011
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.
• An advanced degree in Information Technology and/or a Science related field is required.
• 10+ years of relevant experience in IT, enterprise/application/information architecture. A good understanding of the architectural principals of web based platforms including SaaS / PaaS, multi-tenancy, multi-tiered infrastructure and application servers.
• Expert understanding of foundational architectural concepts and architecture frameworks and tools, defining and implementing enterprise information architecture and MDM solutions
• Expert understanding of applied data analytics technology within Life Science
• A good understanding of enterprise application integration, including SOA, ESB, EAI, ETL environments and an understanding of integration considerations such as process orchestration, B2B integration and Master data management
• Hands-on expertise with multitude of technologies such as Lab software (LIMS), Lab Notebook (ELN), Pipeline Pilot, Biovia Science Cloud, Modelling and Simulation, Enterprise Integration (e.g. Oracle Fusion Middleware, J2EE), ETL, Database (Oracle, Microsoft), Cloud Services (AWS, Azure, Google), Veeva Vault, etc.
• Proven leadership experience in providing innovative technical roadmaps for functional areas.
• Knowledge of and experience with the Pistoia Alliance and Research/Discovery Informatics tools such as HELM
• Development expertise with Java, HTML5, Python, and other open source tools used in Pharmaceutical R&D
• Experience with process management and optimization within R&D.
• Must take a practical, pragmatic, results oriented approach to architecture
• Advanced application architecture design experience and prior exposure to multiple SDLC’s.
• Prior exposure to distributed application performance engineering, cloud computing, social media programs, mobile application development, database design concepts, middleware concepts, user interface development, and information security engineering
• Excellent strategic thinking, problem solving and analytical capabilities with ability to synthesize large amounts of R&D business information and logically structure them into IT elements that build practical solutions.
• Exceptional analytical and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Strong cross-functional coordination skills and understanding of enterprise architecture, governance; any certification on enterprise architecture (Zachman, TOGAF, etc.) methodologies is a plus.
• Develop, manage and communicate current state and future state architectural models, keeping them aligned to changing business needs and relevant for active technology portfolio management. Life sciences and/or consulting experience valued