Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development, agricultural biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and basic and applied biological research. The four-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position. The company has established strategic partnerships with DuPont (agriculture, industrial biotechnology) and Genus plc (agriculture) and has co-founded human therapeutics company Intellia Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NTLA.)
We are seeking a Director to head our newly created Microbial Engineering group. The ideal candidate will establish, direct, and manage the microbial engineering program including building the team and overseeing the research activities to develop technologies for high-throughput engineering of microbial genomes.
In this role, the candidate will:
• Develop a genome engineering research program focused on the development of engineered microbes for therapeutic purposes
• Build a research team focused on the use of CRISPR-based technologies for editing and/or manipulating microbial genomes
• Optimize genome engineering technologies for manipulating commensal microbes to understand disease pathology
• Identify and develop the next generation techniques for DNA assembly, microbe transformation, and genome editing
• Communicate effectively with the R&D organization to develop research plans and provide regular updates through technical reports and presentations
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @CaribouBio (https://twitter.com/cariboubio).
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company observed holidays. The Company provides Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, along with a retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. We promote a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
To apply for this job, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title Dir-Micro-BSP in the subject line. No phone calls please. Direct applicants only. No agencies please.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Candidate must possess:
• PhD in microbiology, synthetic biology, or other life sciences/bioengineering
• Minimum 10 years of experience working in industry, preferably in a biotech company
• Knowledge of genetics and gene regulation for a variety of eukaryotic and prokaryotic microbes
• Solid background utilizing laboratory automation to assist with complicated or lengthy workflows
• Knowledge of techniques to build DNA assemblies, transform microbes, and edit microbial genomes
• Experience in designing, constructing and optimizing metabolic circuits as part of a bacterial engineering program
• Background in statistics for experimental design and data analysis
• Ability to approach and solve problems creatively and outside the normal boundaries
• Proven experience building and managing teams including managing to timelines, budgets and deliverables; providing mentorship; and giving guidance and direction on independent research projects
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent presentation, written, and verbal communication skills
• Expertise in computational and experimental methods for genome assembly and finishing, variation detection, comparative genomics, or genome annotation
• Background analyzing next-generation sequencing data for microbiome analysis