University of South Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Surgery
Initial Rank: Assistant/Associate
Administrative Title: Director of Educational Innovation and Strategic Projects
Tenure Earning: No
Core Faculty: Yes
Clinical Practice: No
Pathway: Clinical Educator
DESCRIPTION OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Completed PhD program in education, psychology or related area. Demonstrated teaching, instructional design and research ability.
TEACHING DUTIES (45% FTE)
- Assists faculty to develop tools for assessment and evaluation of learners and programs.
- Assists faculty with curriculum development for all simulated training environments (animate and inanimate models).
- Designs and offers faculty development programs to support surgical excellence in education, including training residents as teachers.
- Assists in defining and validating performance metrics for clerkship and residency programs.
- Ensures that educational programs are presented in a variety of learning formats consistent with adult learning principles and optimal educational technologies.
RESEARCH DUTIES (40% FTE)
- Identifies faculty and residents interested in educational research; mentors and guides their research efforts.
- Assists in identifying future educational research needs aimed at improving surgical care, patient safety and quality outcomes.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES (10% FTE)
- Serves as faculty member in MCOM Department of Surgery
- Assists faculty and CAMLS team to explore and recommend new technology including web-based aid simulation, to generate innovative surgical training programs for medical students, residents and practicing clinicians.
- Serves as member of Department of Surgery Education Council.
- Serves as liaison to CAMLS to assure coordination and integration of simulation in training of students, residents and new skills training for practice clinicians.
OTHER DUTIES (5% FTE)
For more information, please look at our links:
http://health.usf.edu/medicine/surgery/index.htm University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine, Department of Surgery
http://www.camls-us.org/ Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS)