At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Director Medical Alignment, Hematology in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are currently seeking a Director Medical Alignment (DMA), Hematology to join our team. As the Director Medical Alignment (DMA), Hematology you will be a member of the US Oncology Core Medical Teams, with responsibility for the development and execution of the US Medical Plans in support of the Franchise/Medical Lead. You will be accountable for ensuring alignment of US Medical Affairs activities in support of the medical objectives.
As the DMA you will be accountable for driving development and execution of the Medical Affairs components of the US Medical Plan, Defining Medical Affairs segmentation, focus, and deployment. You will be responsible for the development and appropriate delivery of scientific messaging and education, support of scientific and educational programs aligned with the Medical Plan, delivery of medical and scientific insight back to the Oncology Brand Teams and identification and engagement of key clinical investigators for clinical trials and research partnerships. Additionally, you will represent the key interface between the needs of the US external scientific experts and other clinical decision makers and Brand Team through interactions with all Medical Affairs functions and you will be a member of the Brand Leadership Team.
- Advanced degree in science-related field, such as Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, or equivalent
- >3 years managing programs in a team environment
- Strong knowledge of medical strategy, clinical development, and medical science liaison areas
- Ability to manage a diverse group of responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Leadership abilities
- Expert technical depth in disease area – Oncology
- Strategic influencing skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed initiative ability
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Doctorate in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, or equivalent
- Hematology experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affairs
- Global experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.)
- Knowledge of information/technology systems
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.