If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Director, In Vivo Expressed Biologics in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of In Vivo Expressed Biologics will build and lead a multidisciplinary team of around 18 scientists playing a significant role in biologics drug discovery and new technology development within the Department of Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering (ADPE). The entire team will be composed of three groups: (1) Viral Delivery; (2) Protein Engineering; (3) Molecular Biology. The individual will be a member of the ADPE Senior Leadership Team and will contribute to the overall strategy and direction of ADPE. Major responsibilities will include:
- Establish and execute our in vivo expressed biologics strategy focusing on viral delivery approaches to deliver genes to the body to express therapeutic biologics.
- Build and lead a multidisciplinary team to perform world-class research in the discovery of in vivo expressed biologics and new technology development.
- Play a key role in cell therapy research using viral technology, such us lentiviral approach.
- Interact and collaborate with leaders across all therapeutic areas (Oncology, Infectious Diseases, Respiratory/Inflammation/Autoimmunity, Cardiovascular/Metabolic diseases) on pipeline delivery and new technology development.
- Work closely with BioPharmaceutical Development (BPD) to ensure new therapeutics are aligned with CMC requirement.
- Partner with Business Development to pursue investments that further the in vivo expressed biologics strategy. Establish and manage a network of external partners from academia and industry to strengthen capabilities and capacity in in vivo expressed biologics.
- Develop and manage operating budget.
- Create an environment that values innovation, leadership, scientific excellence, urgency and personal accountability.
- As a member of the ADPE Senior Leadership Team, actively contribute to the overall strategy and direction of ADPE, and undertake specific leadership assignments representing ADPE, as required.
- Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline (gene therapy, virology, genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, or biotechnology) required.
- A minimum of 10-15 years professional experience in research focusing on gene therapy and a variety of viral delivery approaches, in particular adeno-associated virus (AAV) technology.
- The ideal candidate must have great organizational skill and be a great communicator with all functions and levels within MedImmune. He/she must be highly effective in interacting with key external organizations and partners.
- The candidate must be a high output leader. Commits to goals and delivers results.
- The successful candidate must have a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- Recognized leader in scientific specialty as evidenced by publications, participation in international conference, track record in advancing gene therapy from discovery into clinic development, etc.
- Experience related to the discovery and development of gene therapy products is of particular value.
- Knowledge in cell biology and cell therapy is a plus.
- Ability to establish high level strategies for new technologies, and ability to apply technologies to drug discovery.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, and retain top-quality scientific talent.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.