At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As The Director, Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR), Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
The Director, Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) role sits within the Evidence Generation function of the United States (US) Medical Affairs (USMA) organization and interacts with Payer and Commercial teams to design and implement observational research strategies in support of AZ product. Activities focus on the generation of evidence to assist payer and health care provider (HCP) decision-makers and include scientific evidence for reimbursement dossiers and market access in the US. This role leads the internal and external communication of the clinical and economic value proposition and of scientific results to achieve maximal scientific impact and commercial success of AZ products throughout their life cycle. This position requires an experienced individual with expert scientific knowledge of HEOR and its application throughout development process, strong business acumen, and excellent interpersonal skills.
Design, protocol development, championing through governance, execution, and communication of observational research and pharmacoeconomic analyses (e.g., retrospective database analyses, payer analytic tools, systematic reviews, network meta-analyses, budget impact models, cost effectiveness models).
* Collaboration with Field Medical Affairs teams to compile evidence required to satisfy payer requirements, as necessary.
* Integration of the US payer viewpoint into Global development and reimbursement strategies.
* Identification and effective use of internal and external data sources and/or research to support payer reimbursement dossiers and payer value propositions.
* Input for the preparation of reimbursement/formulary documents.
* Maintain current and in-depth understanding of HEOR analytical methodologies.
* Coaching and mentoring junior colleagues in department.
Ten years of relevant experience, five of the years in the pharmaceutical/medical industry
US Oncology experience and alliance management preferred
Doctoral degree in relevant field preferred (PhD, PharmD, MD)
Education: Desirable Requirements Experience in the Oncology Payer space would be of value
Masters degree in relevant field (e.g., outcomes research, health services research, epidemiology, health economics, health policy or related fields)
* In-depth expert knowledge of Real World Evidence and HEOR and their application to pharmaceutical development within the US market.
* Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory requirements.
* Knowledge of US healthcare systems and their changing needs for health economic and payer analytic information.
* Leadership skills and problem solving capability as demonstrated by ability to evaluate threats and opportunities for Health Economics strategy and modify as appropriate.
* Well-developed conceptual and integrative thinking with capability to access internal and external resources for advice.
* Proactive application of therapeutic area and disease treatment knowledge
* Able to implement projects, including engagement with key stakeholders, with high degree of autonomy
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.