AGTC is seeking a highly motivated individual who will be responsible for proposing and validating new targets & disease–specific approaches particularly suited to the application of innovative AAV gene therapy modalities, including novel serotypes, promoters and payloads. The Director will work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) to develop strategic objectives, both for internal projects and external collaborations, and to manage the resources required to meet those goals.
• The Director, Gene Therapy Research will report directly to the CSO
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Run a functional laboratory at the Cambridge site, including hiring and training scientists
• Lead a team to support in vitro assay development and target validation for orphan ophthalmological, CNS and other disease areas
• Utilizing AGTC proprietary AAV technologies, propose innovative new projects for consideration to enter the pipeline
• Manage scientific interactions with external collaborators, ensuring appropriate support is assigned and contractual obligations adhered to
• Adhere to the best practices of research, data management and archiving.
• Observance, compliance, and updating of AGTC’s Safety and Quality manual
• Assist in data analysis and experimental planning, ensuring this is conducted to the highest standards and meets Company quality goals
• Ensure that each direct report has objectives in alignment with corporate goals and is managing their resources appropriately.
• PhD and post-doctoral experience in Virology, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology or Biochemistry with 10 years’ experience in biopharmaceutical drug discovery, managing development of new biological therapeutics or pharmaceutical products.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Advanced knowledge and experimental proficiency in AAV vector research and production, including capsid serotypes, promoter and gene cassette constructs
• Comprehensive theoretical and technical understanding of a wide range of experimental technologies related to protein and DNA/RNA analysis
• Excellent leadership, managerial and supervisory skills. Must be highly organized and extremely analytical with strong problem-solving skills. The candidate must be committed to working in a collaborative, team-based culture and be comfortable with giving and receiving feedback
AGTC offers a competitive compensation commensurate with education and experience, including salary, benefits, and company equity. AGTC is an EOE and maintains a drug free workplace.