Location:Gaithersburg, United StatesJob reference:
Sep. 14, 2016
At the core of everything we do at AstraZeneca and Medimmune is an unsurmountable passion for improving patient health. We are committed to delivering high standards of sales and marketing practices that are the core of driving commercial success responsibly. Together, we aim to positively impact the world through extraordinary science; and approach the pipeline with the passion, innovation and rigor it takes to be a revolutionary force in biotechnology.
Our Marketing efforts include medical education opportunities and digital channels of communication that support high standards of medical education through collaborative environments, such as, interactions with peer groups, virtual seminars, conferences and local physician networks.
We are committed to delivering consistently high ethical standards of sale and marketing practices worldwide. We are driven by the desire to develop innovative medicines that bring hope and improve lives.Director, Field Diagnostics -- Oncology Companion Diagnostics
As the Director, Field Diagnostics, Oncology Companion Diagnostics, you will manage the diagnostic liaison team leads who are responsible for executing activities to support companion diagnostic testing. This is a newly developed team that has an exciting start-up, entrepreneurial within a large, global pharmaceutical company.
The Diagnostic Manager/Liaison (Oncology) team ensures the timely, high quality in-market companion diagnostics / testing solutions to enable optimal treatment throughout the patient journey. An important element of this role is therefore to work collaboratively with the regional sales team and execute on tactical plans with a good understanding of clinical operational issues on the testing pathway developing tailored testing solutions as needed
The Director, Field Diagnostics will appropriately coordinate and support activities between the Diagnostic Liaisons and the Field Sales Team, Medical Scientific Liaisons to execute on tactical plans with a good understanding of clinical operational issues of the diagnostic testing pathway and developing appropriate tailored educational solutions as needed.
* Ensure diagnostic liaison goals and objectives are met or exceeded within the oncology area at a national level
* Develop a strategy to ensure the adoption of companion diagnostic testing with defined metrics for success.
* Support diagnostic liaison activities as follows:
o Identify and develop relationships with scientific experts: Laboratory decision makers, Anatomical Pathologists and Molecular Pathologists, and other health care professionals
o Share appropriate, approved, educational information on diagnostics to the heads of clinical Laboratories and their staff
o Deliver highly technical data presentations
o Educate on the need for diagnostic quality assurance (QA) programs
o Identify barriers to testing through partnerships with diagnostic companies, lab networks, and Health Care Professionals (HCPs).
o Develop strategies to support and educate on appropriate testing
* Has a relentless drive and ability to align actions with regional business plans, and can understand and evaluate the potential impact of external events on the organizational/regional strategies.
* Inspires ownership, accountability, initiative, and engagement within the entire team by regularly communicating AZ's vision, business objectives, performance outcomes, and future action steps.
* Develops people and the organization by investing in long-term development of others through mentoring, coaching, and continuous feedback.
* Creates a climate of trust so team members can act decisively by clarifying roles/responsibilities and establishing boundaries of decision-making.
* Strong competencies in strategic thinking, project management, and communication by collaborating with customers and sales executives in the field to help shape customer perceptions of AZ and enhance the brand portfolio.
* Focuses on delivering on high-impact opportunities by implementing customer-specific approaches based upon their needs and preferences.
* Accurately acknowledges both the broad environmental context of situations and the needs/motivations of others (i.e., excellent insight into how to get things done and they know who they need to influence and why).
* Has the ability to identify issues and opportunities before others, and uses robust analytical rigor to frame situations and incorporate new perspectives and ideas.
* Anticipates and/or removes obstacles for others to that teams/workgroups can deliver results and succeed.
* Establishes business objectives, assesses performance, and addresses skill development for direct reports to ensure appropriate account management, including opportunities for career development.
* Ability to lead and influence diagnostic liaisons through modeling and coaching to AZ's leadership capabilities.
* Adhere to the AZ Code of Conduct, The US Policy Handbook, Standards, and SOPs as well as comply with all regulatory and compliance requirements for your role
10+ years of experience in diagnostic or pharmaceutical sales; must have management experience in field sales.
Ability to identify strategies with greatest business impact, formulate an appropriate business plan and enroll their teams to execute the plan.
Leadership and communication competencies, and experience in managing budgets are required.
Understanding of customer segments and regional market dynamics within the oncology companion diagnostic area.
Ability to lead and manage diagnostic liaisons and to develop staff through coaching and mentoring.
Ability to manage multiple, concurrent work-streams in diverse functional/therapeutic areas.
Experience in team selling or customer support environments, inclusive of successful management of teams.
Presentation and negotiation skills.
MBA and/or prior experience in multiple commercial functions (e.g. Marketing, Managed Markets, Customer Support, Training) preferred