Department: Corporate Development
Status: Full Time
Summary: Avalanche develops technologies and products for sustained delivery of therapeutic proteins to the eye to treat ophthalmologic disorders. The Director/Senior Director is responsible for Business Development. In conjunction with the VP Corporate Development and other cross-functional business partners is responsible for the identification, pursuit and acquisition of strategic business opportunities including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, alliances, joint ventures, and licensing agreements that fit within the overall corporate strategy, business plan and product portfolio. In conjunction with senior leadership assists in the development of short and long-range strategic plans for Avalanche Biotechnologies.
Collaborates cross-functionally with team members (Research, Development, Regulatory, Commercial, Finance, Legal and other colleagues as appropriate) in the objective scientific and business assessment of 3rd party candidates in support of business opportunities. In conjunction with executive leadership, the position assists in the development and facilitation of product development strategic plan, identifying issues, and assisting in the implementation of solutions and the success of projects.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Support business development through robust opportunity assessment, including financial valuation and analysis of system cost-savings potential.
• Analyzes the attractiveness, feasibility and commercial viability of the opportunity for the company, proposing further action or rejection of the initiative.
• Interacts with the internal departments related with the project (Research, Administration, Finance, etc), outlines strategy and establishes the initial project Action Plan, working closely with the business unit Managers.
• Supports the definition of the business structure and facilitates the development of necessary contacts with target and related stakeholders.
• Presents new products and services to the management, carries out negotiations in those required cases with the relevant parties and manages required approval.
• Coordinates the implementation, monitors performance, issues reports and makes necessary adjustments.
• Implement and manage project changes and interventions to achieve project outputs.
• Establish contacts with key external partners and look into the possibility of cooperation in specific segments.
• Data collection, screening and analysis for specific business development topics addressing mid-long term business potentials and leveraging short term business benefit.
• Perform market and industry research and analysis.
• Monitor markets, industries and organizations of potential strategic interest.
Position Requirements and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline, Master’s/MBA degree in business/science preferred.
• 12-15+ years experience in Pharma/Bio industry.
• Knowledge of Pharmaceutical product development and relevant scientific technologies, outstanding skills in communication, negotiation, strategy, financing, business, economics, leadership, critical thinking and cross-functional partnering.
• Interact with all levels of the company cross-functionally including the Executive Committee. Also interacts with KOLs, vendors, community leaders, business, scientific and physician thought leaders.
• Knowledge and proficiency in various database and computer business intelligence systems.
• Experience in R&D, commercial, market research, or equivalent experience desirable.
• Demonstrated negotiation skills.
• Travel and conference and meeting attendance required.
• PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).