The Director, Biology leads discovery and development of nucleic acid therapeutics targeting hepatic genes. He or she needs to make sound judgement calls regarding balancing in vitro/in vivo modeling and early human experimental medicine evidences for project progression, and develop early translational strategy based on mechanism of actions of drug candidates. This position reports to the VP, Biology.
May include some or all of the following:
• Responsible for the leadership and oversight of discovery programs of nucleic acid therapeutics targeting hepatic genes.
• Provide scientific expertise, guidance and strategy to successfully bring programs to Go/No Go decisions.
• Act as a subject matter expert for the disease area of interest, leveraging platforms for specific targeting and indications.
• Provide expert level guidance in designing and implementing cell biology, biochemistry and biomarker related studies.
• Actively collaborate and network across R&D.
• Introduce innovative approaches and new programs within Research.
• Lead external collaborations in the areas of interest.
• Act as a scientific resource providing guidance and mentorship to colleagues.
• Interact in a cross-functional manner with other R&D functions.
• Lead and/or represent WAVE in collaborations with academic and/or corporate partners.
• Participate in due diligence efforts.
Education / Experience:
• PhD in Cell Biology or related field.
• A minimum of 10 years of industry experience.
• Experience leading biology research from target conceptualization to candidate selection, and preparing biology data packages for IND submission.
• A minimum of three years’ experience managing individuals and teams.
• Experience leading projects in a collaboration partnership.
Skills / Pre-requisites:
• Strong knowledge of medicine development with antisense oligonucleotides and RNA interference is required.
• Scientific background of metabolic or cardiovascular diseases is desirable.
• Results driven and focused on execution.
• Committed to collaborative working environment and people development in a vibrant, culturally-diverse work environment.