At the forefront of scientific innovation, AZ is embracing the value of data analytics, big data and data science, as key levers of insight and productivity. Within our Advanced Analytics Centre, we are currently expanding our Data Science Solutions team.
In order to maximise insight and productivity, and push our scientific boundaries even further, we need skilled data scientists and data science leaders across a range of experience levels. Our career ladder includes Senior, Principal and Director-level Data Scientists.
We need great people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world.
We are guided in our work by a strong set of values, One of our key values we embrace is the principle of ‘patient centricity’ – putting the patient first and at the core of everything we do, ensuring that each and every project is contributing to our goal of getting the right medicines to the right patients, faster.
Data Science Solutions - The Opportunity
We generate and acquire vast amounts of scientific and operational data during the medicines discovery, development & marketing process – data that holds huge promise, not least for the patients who currently benefit from our medicines, or indeed those who may do so in the future.
A clear example is the recently announced “2 million genomes initiative”, which is now underway, and is set to provide completely fresh insights about the origins of disease, and how we tailor treatments based on an individual’s genetic signature. Similar initiatives are underway right across the business, to ensure that data is at the heart of all our scientific endeavours as well as our business decisions.
Our Data Science solutions team is key to realising these benefits.
We have opportunities for individuals who have successfully demonstrated a quartet of capabilities, having proven these across a range of fields – to provide a unique advantage:
- Statistical / mathematical ability
- Computer programming / software skills
- Domain knowledge – biomedical & health sciences
- Communication & visualisation
Join us on the journey to better health outcomes for patients, driven by data intensive science and decision making.
Experience and Career Path
As a data scientist in our rapidly expanding Data Science Solutions team, you will be working in a dynamic and collaborative environment, applying your skills to extract value from key scientific data sets. You will be driven by an intellectual curiosity that motivates you to experiment, and creatively develop new solutions to existing problems.
At AZ, the sky is the limit, as we have opportunities available to accommodate data scientists at all career stages:
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will have:
- MSc/PhD in a relevant subject such as Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Physics, Applied Maths, Statistics, Informatics
- Experience in data mining: machine learning, statistics and visualisation, evidence of maintaining knowledge of the latest trends and developments in data science
- Computing skills: scientific computing & scripting (e.g. R/R-Studio/R-Shiny, Python, Perl, Jupyter), software development, database design & coding – SQL/NoSQL, scientific data processing
- Understanding of algorithm design, development, optimisation, scalability and application
- Understanding of the application of data science to problems in the life sciences & clinical research
- Analytical thinking & technical problem solving
- Proven team-working ability
Whether growing your career with AstraZeneca or capitalising on your existing experience we also have opportunities at the principal and director levels. In addition to the above, your experience will demonstrate components of the following:
- Leading development projects and development of strategic plans for comprehensive data science support
- Established or building a reputation for creativity, expertise and delivery of projects
- Capable of representing the company at external conferences and fora
- Building long term external relationships with industrial & academic partners, to achieve strategic aims
- Provide global, strategic guidance regarding the innovative use of data mining, machine learning and scientific computing in clinical research
- Mentor/coach and support the education and training of data science staff
- Experience of clinical drug development, and associated application of data analytics
If you’re swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Join us for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career in data science.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.